Premed 101 Forums

Recommendation for Books

hsk164

I am sure there are a bunch of threads out there about this topic, therefore I apologize in advance for the redundancy!

Can anyone suggest an inspiring book to read about different medical specialties. I know I want to become a doctor, I'm sure which specialty fits my personality the best!

Thanks in Advance!

I have a great book for you:

So you want to be a brain surgeon? : the medical careers guide

3rd ed.

Author: Eccles, Simon.

Publisher: Oxford ;Oxford University Press,

Pub Year: 2009

It goes into detail about all of the different medical specialties, how competitive the residencies are, how much to expect to be paid for a specialty, what the burnout rate is like. I found it very informative, and you can likely check it out at your local library. If they don't have a book you want at the library just request it and you'll be the first on the waiting list. Happy reading :)

it's not "inspiring" or about diff specialties per se, but most doctors say "House of God" by Samuel Shem is a must-read for any med student or resident... it is fictional, but based on the author's account of his experience interning (first-year resident) at a Harvard-assosiated hospital in Boston... it's cynical and hyperbolic, but a realistic view of residency/medicine (at least in the late 70's when it was written) - according to a ton of doctors at least

it's not "inspiring" or about diff specialties per se, but most doctors say "House of God" by Samuel Shem is a must-read for any med student or resident... it is fictional, but based on the author's account of his experience interning (first-year resident) at a Harvard-assosiated hospital in Boston... it's cynical and hyperbolic, but a realistic view of residency/medicine (at least in the late 70's when it was written) - according to a ton of doctors at least

Definitely an intriguing and unadulterated read. Just make sure you don't get too jaded about medicine before you're into it yet, haha. A lot of learning is made possible by the idealistic perspectives found in young med students :P. This perspective is not the one that Shem adopts in his book.

Archived