Premed 101 Forums

DEC or B.Sc, which is viewed better by McGill?

loki22

Hi everyone,

So the thing is I am turning 21 in August so I am eligible to become a mature student at Concordia, where I would take my Bachelor of Science...however, I could also at the same time enter Health Science at Dawson (having just obtained my pre-reqs through continued ed)...there lies my predicament, which do I choose?

Do I go for the B.Sc at Concordia, or the DEC at Dawson? Will McGill find a B.Sc without a DEC a little weird and look down on my application when I apply, if I do decide to go that route?

tldr: i am able to skip CEGEP and get a B.Sc from concordia instead right off the bat (with which I would later apply for med at McGill), should i do it?

Thanks!

cegep = 2 years

university = 3 years

university without cegep = 4 years

if you were to do dec then a bsc you would be down for 5 years, where as you would only have 4 if you went directly into university, in my opinion go to university.

Hey,

Yeah it does, but according to the concordia website I fall under the category:

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/undergraduate/admission-requirements/mature-entry/

Since I have been in adult ed and only dawson continued ed, I have not been a full time student, unless adult education is considered full time, which I doubt since I was only taking one class per day...

My question is, won't the IP students applying to McGill who hold the DEC & B.Sc have a huge advantage over my B.Sc or is having a higher GPA than those students enough to get the interview?

I do not see why the IP students with DEC//Bsc would have a "huge" advantage over an IP student with just the Bsc. I am confident they are equal as long as they both fulfilled the requirements. If anything you will be applying 1 year earlier, which would you give you an advantage :).

Also, i am not fully familiar with this, but I know that for applying to mcgill there is a problem with the lab components of the science requirements at concordia, you may want to check the mcgill website just to be sure, this way there is no problem with your pre-reqs come application time.

Here's the link ; http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/general-requirements/basic-science-prerequisites

best of wishes and gl.

Other consideration - with a CEGEP you have ONE SINGLE CHANCE to apply, the year you finish your CEGEP. If it does not work, you have to obtain a bachelor degree in order to be able to re-apply.

With university degree, you can re-apply each year but you will probable have to take the MCAT

Other consideration - with a CEGEP you have ONE SINGLE CHANCE to apply, the year you finish your CEGEP. If it does not work, you have to obtain a bachelor degree in order to be able to re-apply.

With university degree, you can re-apply each year but you will probable have to take the MCAT

Remember that the MCAT is now entirely optional for Quebec University applicants to McGill.

I do not see why the IP students with DEC//Bsc would have a "huge" advantage over an IP student with just the Bsc. I am confident they are equal as long as they both fulfilled the requirements. If anything you will be applying 1 year earlier, which would you give you an advantage :).

Also, i am not fully familiar with this, but I know that for applying to mcgill there is a problem with the lab components of the science requirements at concordia, you may want to check the mcgill website just to be sure, this way there is no problem with your pre-reqs come application time.

Here's the link ; http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/general-requirements/basic-science-prerequisites

best of wishes and gl.

Oh wow that is the first I've read of that, so what do you do then, in regards to the labs?

Considering the alternative route he has taken I do not believe he would eligible for Med-P anyways. But cegep can have its benefits also. I consider myself to be lucky to have taken the med pre-reqs at a cegep level. I had no background in science before hand and was able to receive alot of extra help from teachers during office hours and e.t.c. I dont know If I would of received the same privilege had I been in university. Something to consider for the OP, you might have 1 extra year if you go the cegep route but your course load might not be as heavy, which will help you adjust.

Considering the alternative route he has taken I do not believe he would eligible for Med-P anyways. But cegep can have its benefits also. I consider myself to be lucky to have taken the med pre-reqs at a cegep level. I had no background in science before hand and was able to receive alot of extra help from teachers during office hours and e.t.c. I dont know If I would of received the same privilege had I been in university. Something to consider for the OP, you might have 1 extra year if you go the cegep route but your course load might not be as heavy, which will help you adjust.

Hi,

That was my main worry too...the adjustment process for university. After checking with my academic adviser I was told that I am eligible for med-p since the courses I took were out of my program, so as soon as I start CEGEP (if I choose that) I would enter Health Science, as long as I don't extend my stay I would be eligible for Med-P...don't know my chances for admission, but the eligibility would be there...

Hi,

That was my main worry too...the adjustment process for university. After checking with my academic adviser I was told that I am eligible for med-p since the courses I took were out of my program, so as soon as I start CEGEP (if I choose that) I would enter Health Science, as long as I don't extend my stay I would be eligible for Med-P...don't know my chances for admission, but the eligibility would be there...

In that case either path you choose will be win. There is only a difference of 1 year, if your confident you can do well with full university course load + science pre-reqs then university might be the better option. But if you believe you would need time to adjusting to science then cegep is a good option as well. You have a tough choice ahead of you, best of luck and let us know how it goes :).

I didn't do CEGEP and I went straight to university. I am glad I did it except for one thing: I had a hard time adapting in my first year of university. So my grades suffered a bit. So if you do CEGEP + Bachelor, even if you do poorly in CEGEP, you can still do well in your bachelor and have a good chance at McGill. But if you screw up during university, your cGPA will be affected permanently....

Archived