Premed 101 Forums

is this rumor true?

I've just read someone posting in this forum, stating that foreign dentist, ie from Afghanistan could come to Canada and complete for the job market :eek: Is this true? I hope not. I don't want to waste so much time and effort while someone from the 3rd world come up and have the same privilege :( It would be better if Dentistry, Medicine, and those related fields are only limited to those graduated from university of that specific country.

couldn't find that post again, otherwise I would quote it here.

lol...because people from 3rd world countries shouldn't have the same privileges as us...

It's not about privileges, it's about qualifications. Dentist in foreign countries, especially 3rd world countries, may not have gone through the rigorous selection process like in Canada. They may not have the same standards of training, they are not used to the way dentistry is practiced here, the list goes on. This also creates loopholes in the system where less qualified people can get licensed abroad and practice in Canada, this is obviously unfair.

Well if these people were ever hired or open up their own practices, then their mediocre training will no doubt result in their firing or going bankrupt, no? Because of this, and in addition to the difficulty of the equivalency process for some of these people, I really don't believe that we should be too worried about this.

It's not about privileges, it's about qualifications. Dentist in foreign countries, especially 3rd world countries, may not have gone through the rigorous selection process like in Canada. They may not have the same standards of training, they are not used to the way dentistry is practiced here, the list goes on. This also creates loopholes in the system where less qualified people can get licensed abroad and practice in Canada, this is obviously unfair.

I agree that this is unfair. It's kind of a slap in the face when you work so hard for so long, and when faced with a shortage problem (which is debatable in the first place), the CDA, instead of increasing the number of spots in dental schools which would open doors to more bright, young, talented and promising canadian students, opens doors to hundreds of foreign trained dentists.

I have faith that our job market won't take any crushing blows. There are two main resons for this. The first is that there are currently a lot of dentists nearing the age of retirement. It may seem like there is no current shortage... which there may not be. However in the city I currently live, I know that many of our dentists are in search of young associates to partner and pass on the torch. The same may not be said for larger centers (ie, Vancouver and Toronto), but there are still a lot of ol' boys still out there. The second is that like others in this thread have mentioned... The exam is not a cake walk. I'll refer to my city again, there are a number of FTD's working as assistants or working towards an RDH becuase they havn't passed the exam. They aren't morons by any stretch, however their foreign training doesn't transfer well with regard to specific standards held by the CDA.

Archived