Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites for American schools...

I need some help:

I am a first year student with only a few of the prerequisite courses for the American schools thus far. I plan on taking full year physics over the summer to get that out of the way, and full year English throughout the school year. The only other thing I am missing is full year Orgo, but I REALLY do not want to take it.

So my question is: Can I still apply to American schools without Orgo? And then, if accepted, I will take full year orgo over the summer to fulfill the prerequisite. Is this okay? Will it affect my application at all?

I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with this dilemma before.

Thanks everyone!

Usually as long as you complete your prereqs before starting you should be ok, but postponing something like organic might look suspicious

Would it prevent me from getting an interview? What do you mean by "suspicious" ? As long as it does not affect my chances of acceptance, that is fine with me.

Has anybody experienced this situation at all ? (taking a prerequisite in the summer after your acceptance to an American school) ?

Thanks everyone!

No it will not prevent you from getting an interview. As long as you complete the requirements, you are ok. But if your science GPA is low-ish or borderline and you postpone organic, it might look like you are scared to take it. In that case, I would take it beforehand to show the adcoms that you can handle science courses. If you have a good science GPA and you postpone organic, it probably won't make much difference.

I used to review apps for my school so I speak from some experience.

Archived