Premed 101 Forums

Approaching a professor?

There is a mix and mingle event with the faculty from my discpline coming up. I want to approach some professors to ask for volunteer opportunities in their labs.

I know I should at least understand their research area focus beforehand, but how would you go about finding this information?

I am planning to use the school website but I find the information provided by some professors are very limited (i.e. only the research area is stated and no additional information.)

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

There is a mix and mingle event with the faculty from my discpline coming up. I want to approach some professors to ask for volunteer opportunities in their labs.

I know I should at least understand their research area focus beforehand, but how would you go about finding this information?

I am planning to use the school website but I find the information provided by some professors are very limited (i.e. only the research area is stated and no additional information.)

For me, although I didn't really volunteer in a lab for long (I didn't really like the setting, it wasn't for me I guess :( ) I believe the best way to approach it professionally is to approach it directly through email or phone. It's nice to have a prof remember your name at an event as such - it will make approaching them easier. Try to set up a meeting where you can explain your interest and abilities. You can always pubmed/google scholar/ovid their research papers by their names, and gain an appreciation of the field. Try to give your (amateruish, I guess) insight into how you would like to explore a particular aspect of their field (for ex. how you would like to explore the relationship between depression and the digestive system, and how you think they are related). You may be quite off, but at least it expresses interest. Finally, you can always do it for project-based courses, such as thesis - that will make it easier as well.

Remember to say thank you for their time, as profs are very busy people...and good luck!

It's fairly easy.

You walk up to a prof, go, "Hi Dr. ____, I've read a lot about your research in [stuff], and I'm really interested. I was wondering first of all if anything new has happened?

Oh, that's pretty awesome. By the way, do you take summer students for research? I noticed you hold an NSERC chair, so I could apply for that, CIHR, (insert funding), if you would like.

My GPA? It's [insert], and I've had [insert other experience in research].

They can either tell you yes, no, or maybe, and email them.

In that case, thank you for your time, I'll be sure to follow up, and if you have time, we can definitely meet up later on to discuss further about projects, time commitments, etc.

If it's your first research position as an undergrad, don't bother suggesting a specific topic because chances are high that you won't do it. Either the topic will have already been taken, isn't easily testable, or the prof won't be interested. Normally, undergrads just go along with whatever the prof already has. Instead find out what the prof is interested in, and say your interested in it too. Just paraphrase what their main interest is so it seems like your interests directly align. For example:

Prof interested in thermoregulation and metabolism in extreme temperatures

Next, google their most recent work to see what they do more specifically - just so you know what they're talking about when they talk to you. You should also have a basic understanding for the field.

You email saying "I'm interested in learning more about metabolism in extreme temperature conditions. I understand that this is your area expertise, and so I was wondering if you had any research projects underway in this area that I would be able to offer my time towards as a volunteer."

Attach your CV and transcripts, then play the waiting game.

Another option is to approach a grad student. I'm sure many would be more than happy to pawn off some tasks to a volunteer. I know I would; especially if I knew the student was a good one from my TA sessions or something. Then it would just be a simple matter of me telling my supervisor that I was approached by a good student who wants to help out, and I have some work for them.

Oh, and undergrads are definitely worth being paid. Don't work for free and bust your balls for 60 hr weeks during the summer.

You can volunteer and donate your time, sure, but I think it should be a trial period where you see if you guys are a good fit for each other.

Either that, or some guarantee that you'll get results for it.

It depends on the exact event I think. Most of the ones I've been to have a time set aside so that students can 'mingle' with professors.

I usually just walk up and introduce myself.. "Hi, I'm ___. I'm a second year student studying _____." If you know the professor because he taught you, you can mention that you're in his class. Also, if you know the exact professors that will be there before you can search up what their research interests are. Sometimes (though not always), it can be useful to read their research papers so you sound knowledgable in conversation. Just search up their bio and then find their latest publications on a data base (pub med, etc). Then I would do what was mentioned above :).

Remember.. even though you are in undergrad, you are doing useful work for them. Be confident about who you are and your abilities.... talking to them about a potential research project is just as a much an opportunity for you to see if you'd fit the lab as it is whether he/she will take you.

Hey everyone- i have a similar question....

is it okay to just find research doctors from a hospital directory and email them out of nowhere offering to volunteer at their lab?

Sure :)! I know several people who did this actually. Just introduce yourself, your year of study, any particularily useful courses (directly related, stats, etc), previous experiences with research (or programs they might be using), etc. I'd also mention why the project is a good fit for you (make sure to search up what their lab is about!). Also stress that you are a hard worker and fast learner!

Good luck! I just got my first research job for this summer :D

Thanks for the advice.

Just wondering, what do students normally do during a mix and mingle event?

Do they start a conversation with the professors?

I'm not a very sociable person and am hoping for some inputs from other's experiences.

It's good to be there with some friends. Is this one at Rex's Den?

Considering that the summer's coming up, some profs will be looking for volunteers. My prof will definitely be looking and if you're taking at least 3 courses in the summer and qualify for OSAP, you can do work-study in my lab. PM if interested.

This is the time 4th yrs are graduating so there's going to be some opportunities. At the mix and mingle, take advantage of the profs' presence to discuss subject POSTs since you'll have to pick one soon.

GL

Archived