Premed 101 Forums

Question for current Mac Med students

Hey guys, I was just wondering what things you love about attending Mac Med? I was on the website today, but couldn't find much about what students really like, some of the other schools have testimonials and such, but I couldnt find anything for Mac.

Thanks!

I can start though, Pro's include

- Relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere--not as many "keeners" as U of T meds, so the stress and competition decreases

- lower workload than other schools in preclerkship

- learn as much as others in the end IF you go by lmcc results

would you actually recommend that someone say this during their interview station?

- more elective weeks than other schools, = good for carms

More elective weeks than what other schools? I'd expect that as a 3-year program your potential elective weeks would be restricted in comparison with 4-yr schools due to 'no summers'...could you please explain?

I thought I'd respond to this, since I'm a current mac student.

Some notable points about Mac, and pros and cons:

3 year program

Pro:

This is my 6th year of university - I am more than ready to be out and working. That extra year was something I wanted.

Con:

Some students really miss the summers. I have no desire to be out working a minimum wage job again for 3 months, but sometimes the lack of vacation is a bit much.

Early elective experience

Pros:

I saw two C-sections in September of my first year! Mac is great about bringing students into clinic early, and it keeps things exciting and relevant.

Cons:

. . . I really can't think of any.

PBL

Pro:

Okay, so I love PBL so may be a bit biased. But I'm someone who loves the hunt of research. I find that when I'm preparing for tutorial, it's such 'active' learning that I have to spend less time re-learning it like I do after I just watch a lecture and highlight some slides. It's more efficient, you feel more excited about what you learn, and you can set objectives related to things you are interested in.

Con:

You do have to research a lot. I have (no exaggeration) spent 13 hours in one day on my computer, reading Harrison's online. Some people may have preferred to have the information delivered via lecture, I don't know. Sometimes the resources aren't good and it takes longer than you expect, and it can be frustrating. Sometimes you can really struggle with the material. But that just brings me to my next point . . .

My classmates

Pro:

In the context of PBL, this is huge. There is an incredible variety of students in the Mac program. Whenever I struggle with understanding something prior to tutorial, I can come with my questions and there will be someone with their degree in pharmacology or biochem ready to make it simple and answer questions. A lot of my peers are great teachers, and walking through the material you've already learned, through someone else's point of view, is immensely helpful. When I leave tutorial, I feel like I have a solid understanding of things, and that is down to my classmates. People contribute different things - at present I am the organiser of knowledge (aka table maker and sharer) and resident repro expert.

Con:

Tutorial groups change every 9 to 13 weeks. If you have a great group - this sucks. So while your peers are a great 'pro,' you lose out on the benefits of those particular ones in a couple months. Worse, if you wind up with a dysfunctional group or an inefficient one, it can make tutorials not so fun or rewarding. Usually groups are good at working through this, but it can happen.

Fewer lectures

Pro:

I should be upfront about this - I am not someone who learns as effectively as I could from lectures. I was an arts student and always did seminar-based classes. For me, I find lectures to be a massively bad way to learn. I can't ask questions, can't discuss, and often have to 'relearn it' and fill in the blanks on the material after. I like finding the resources myself better.

Cons:

Material can take longer to organise in your mind without the lectures to frame it. We do have about 6 lectures a week (spread over two days), and they do a pretty good job of having the material follow what we're doing in tutorials. For people who are comfortable and happy with lectures, not having them can be frustrating.

That's really it. Hopefully that helped - I tried to be pretty balanced. PBL isn't for everyone, and a lot of the MMI is about selecting for students who will do well in that setting. If you get in, it means you'll be able to do it just fine!

I thought I'd respond to this, since I'm a current mac student.

Some notable points about Mac, and pros and cons:

3 year program

Pro:

This is my 6th year of university - I am more than ready to be out and working. That extra year was something I wanted.

Con:

Some students really miss the summers. I have no desire to be out working a minimum wage job again for 3 months, but sometimes the lack of vacation is a bit much.

Early elective experience

Pros:

I saw two C-sections in September of my first year! Mac is great about bringing students into clinic early, and it keeps things exciting and relevant.

Cons:

. . . I really can't think of any.

PBL

Pro:

Okay, so I love PBL so may be a bit biased. But I'm someone who loves the hunt of research. I find that when I'm preparing for tutorial, it's such 'active' learning that I have to spend less time re-learning it like I do after I just watch a lecture and highlight some slides. It's more efficient, you feel more excited about what you learn, and you can set objectives related to things you are interested in.

Con:

You do have to research a lot. I have (no exaggeration) spent 13 hours in one day on my computer, reading Harrison's online. Some people may have preferred to have the information delivered via lecture, I don't know. Sometimes the resources aren't good and it takes longer than you expect, and it can be frustrating. Sometimes you can really struggle with the material. But that just brings me to my next point . . .

My classmates

Pro:

In the context of PBL, this is huge. There is an incredible variety of students in the Mac program. Whenever I struggle with understanding something prior to tutorial, I can come with my questions and there will be someone with their degree in pharmacology or biochem ready to make it simple and answer questions. A lot of my peers are great teachers, and walking through the material you've already learned, through someone else's point of view, is immensely helpful. When I leave tutorial, I feel like I have a solid understanding of things, and that is down to my classmates. People contribute different things - at present I am the organiser of knowledge (aka table maker and sharer) and resident repro expert.

Con:

Tutorial groups change every 9 to 13 weeks. If you have a great group - this sucks. So while your peers are a great 'pro,' you lose out on the benefits of those particular ones in a couple months. Worse, if you wind up with a dysfunctional group or an inefficient one, it can make tutorials not so fun or rewarding. Usually groups are good at working through this, but it can happen.

Fewer lectures

Pro:

I should be upfront about this - I am not someone who learns as effectively as I could from lectures. I was an arts student and always did seminar-based classes. For me, I find lectures to be a massively bad way to learn. I can't ask questions, can't discuss, and often have to 'relearn it' and fill in the blanks on the material after. I like finding the resources myself better.

Cons:

Material can take longer to organise in your mind without the lectures to frame it. We do have about 6 lectures a week (spread over two days), and they do a pretty good job of having the material follow what we're doing in tutorials. For people who are comfortable and happy with lectures, not having them can be frustrating.

That's really it. Hopefully that helped - I tried to be pretty balanced. PBL isn't for everyone, and a lot of the MMI is about selecting for students who will do well in that setting. If you get in, it means you'll be able to do it just fine!

Thank you so much! So helpful! ! you are amazing :D :D

• 1 year later...

Archived