Premed 101 Forums

Keeping up with physical exercise and fitness in residency

Hi all, I have here a question that's been really bugging me.

I used to be a fat kid, and in the past 4 years have really adopted a healthy lifestyle of exercise and cutting down on processed foods in favor of self cooked foods and have become above average interms of fitness. I've also taken up brazilian jiujitsu at 3 sessions a week and a regimen of weight lifting, 3 sessions a week.

I'm still preclinical right now and in 2nd year and am still able to keep up with school and do all these things due to a combination of choosing to live at the right place and prioritizing things like not going out every weekend. One of the things that has really bugged me is the possibility that I will have to drop the very things that have made me healthier and feel better about myself. I love medicine, but I also love my hobbies. Are there many residents out there who still manage to train at least 4 times a week including travel time?(training being going to the gym for one hour sessions, training for a sport/martial art etc). I understand that there will have to be sacrifices made but the thoguht of giving up these interests is weighing heavily on my choices for residency.

Particularly, will this be doable in the following fields: internal medicine, anesthesia, radiology, family?

I've seen surgical residents (male and female) have children during residency, so if keeping fit and healthy is important to you (and it should be), I do not see why you won't be able to continue in residency. Of course, this will likely mean prioritizing the gym over other ways to spend your discretionary time (TV, computer, going out, cooking that requires a lot of prep time). The main issue will be committing to scheduled sessions due to the unpredictability of one's work and call schedule (some rotations are going to be busier than others), but if you are just going to work out on your own, many gyms have extended hours.

Buy yourself some free weights (dumbbells and iron plates), a bench and a cardio machine (I have a good elliptical I purchased, plus a rarely used older treadmill that we picked up from family). It was the best decision I ever made. Now I work out when I want, and all the effort that's needed is running to my bedroom to grab pair of socks and shorts.

I used to go to a nearby gym, but I found that the limited hours (until 10 pm week days, 6 pm week ends) really put a damper on things. Now I have the flexibility to work out whenever I want and it involved way less effort to prepare. As a result, I now have a pretty regular routine.

Plus I have my standard bike, roller blades and running in the summer when there is no snow.

• 6 months later...

If exercise and regular physical activity benefit the body, a sedentary lifestyle does the opposite, increasing the chances of becoming overweight and developing a number of chronic diseases.

If you don't currently exercise and aren't very active during the day, any increase in exercise or physical activity is good for you. Aerobic physical activity—any activity that causes a noticeable increase in your heart rate—is especially beneficial for disease prevention. Some studies show that walking briskly for even one to two hours a week (15 to 20 minutes a day) starts to decrease the chances of having a heart attack or stroke, developing diabetes, or dying prematurely.

And some advt for gym are the reliability , due to the fact that the weather has far less of an effect. The availability of specific equipment that targets specifice fitness goals and the support and fellowship of the other gym members.

The disadvantages,..your relying on having to go somewhere, the price and the routine nature.

The advantages of outdoor sports ,..they are fun, the sun provides vitamin D, it encourages friends and others to participate in something healthy, fellowship, and variety.

The disadvantes include, weather interference, other's may not be interested, less targeted, and harder to establish a routine.

both would be excellent!

They, provide a variety of healthy activity, get people together for fun, help beat depression, protect your heart and cure boredom!

Archived