Premed 101 Forums

too late to apply for summer research?

Handsome88

I'm studying Medicine outside Canada and tried applying to summer research in Toronto but no luck. I started sending e-mails two weeks ago to clinician researchers in Toronto hospitals. Sent out about 30-40 e-mails but no replies whatsoever (well...two said their labs are full).

Why does it seem easier for others to get research opportunities, am I doing anything wrong?

Do you guys apply a year before or what?

How do you apply for it?

What do I do now? Any ideas?

Man, you seem unlucky. I sent an email to one prof in feb. and she accepted me the next day. (I am not that stellar of a student campared to some ppl on this forum either). Unfortunately I have to volunteer this summer, but come fall she is going to take me one full time. SO exited.

Man' date=' you seem unlucky. I sent an email to one prof in feb. and she accepted me the next day. (I am not that stellar of a student campared to some ppl on this forum either). Unfortunately I have to volunteer this summer, but come fall she is going to take me one full time. SO exited.[/quote']

Wow that's so lucky...no interview, LORs, or anything?! Are you a med student or undergrad? Might be harder to do clinical research with drs than basic research with profs.

To the OP:

I did have an interview, but I think it was more a formality because she gave me a tour of her labs as well and explained all the equipment. I am a first year undergrad in Chem. Eng. I am volunteering this summer doing 'regular research', because I missed the deadline (by 1 freaking day :mad:) for NSERC. This fall she said should would take me on in a paid position when she gets her grant. The research i am doing is related to my field (chem. eng.)and is very interesting and is therefore not clinical, however I really don't think it matters.

When I e-mailed her i just attached my c.v., trascript, and a letter explaining my intentions.

-okay so maybe it wasn't the next day, but with-in a week i had a position

Wow that's so lucky...no interview, LORs, or anything?! Are you a med student or undergrad? Might be harder to do clinical research with drs than basic research with profs.

I definitely think it is harder to get a research job with doctors, from the PMs I have been getting from members. Especially a paid clinical research job.

I definitely think it is harder to get a research job with doctors, from the PMs I have been getting from members. Especially a paid clinical research job.

It may be harder to get, but on paper they all look the same. Clinical research/ laboratory research are both research.

It may be harder to get' date=' but on paper they all look the same. Clinical research/ laboratory research are both research.[/quote']

Based on what you've quoted, I wasn't implying that one looked more impressive than the other at all. Just that one was type of research seemed to be more difficult to get a paid position in :) I've also noticed that you are not doing clinical research, which I think is great as long as you like what you are doing which seems to be the case. I know many med students that did research that was not clinical, and it didn't seem to make an impact at all. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, and I hope you didn't take it that way.

Archived