Premed 101 Forums

entering dental school after taking year off

hi,

i guess i should go through the forums and look for this myself but im lazy

i was wondering what dental schools think if u finished ur undergrad, decided to take a year off and applied during ur year off. so basically u havent been in school for a year before u enter dental school. is there anything wrong with this?

thanks!

well with osap, depending on your monthly income you could apply for an interest free period (which is what I did), no interest for me till april then when Dent school time, I will push back the inevitable. But definitely they will ask what you did in your off time, but it should not effect you negatively, unless GPA cut offs rise and your best years dont cut it anymore.

oh no nothing like that, i just wanted to plan in case i don't get in this year. im just finishing up my degree, and if i dont get into dental school this cycle i dont want to go back to school and do a fifth year or a masters. id rather work/travel. so i was just wondering what dental schools think of that. judging from the posts above, it seems to be fine.

i wrote my DAT in feb 2010. dat scores r good for 2-3 years right?

students who usually take a year off have mental problems

mental problems? i dont know of anyone who took a year off having mental problems. they just didnt sufficiently prep for their interview or had low gpa/dat numbers. this doesnt mean that they have issues.

some dent students have taken a year off to travel, work, teach in japan, apply to more schools, or get married and said that it was the best decision they ever made.

mental problems? i dont know of anyone who took a year off having mental problems. they just didnt sufficiently prep for their interview or had low gpa/dat numbers. this doesnt mean that they have issues.

some dent students have taken a year off to travel, work, teach in japan, apply to more schools, or get married and said that it was the best decision they ever made.

I'm in the married boat. My wife and I got married in December of 4th year, i didn't get into school that cycle (last year) however she started a dental hygiene program. So I had to work full-time to support her through school. After applying again this year though, I got in! So taking a year off didn't seem to hinder me.

Whoever said people generally take years off because of mental issues clearly has a mental issue themselves.

Honestly, when talking with my past supervisors, the thing I hear most often is, "The one thing I regret is not taking time off between my degrees."

Enjoy life. Chill out. Do your best, and make multiple plans, but do what feels right at the time.

Whoever said people generally take years off because of mental issues clearly has a mental issue themselves.

Honestly, when talking with my past supervisors, the thing I hear most often is, "The one thing I regret is not taking time off between my degrees."

Enjoy life. Chill out. Do your best, and make multiple plans, but do what feels right at the time.

I don't know about you guys but I would be really bored taking a year off, during the summers I usually look forward to school - I need intellectual stimulation! I guess I'm a workaholic as well... oh well!

Lol telling a group of pre-dents to chill out is like telling them to stop breathing. XD

Being a good dentist is not just about grades. In fact, many studies have been done recently that show grades/undergrad success/DAT scores are not at all predictive of clinical success in third and fourth year and as a practising dentist (although predictive of success in the first two years). What determines these successes in later dental years is more correlated with your interview scores (hence the testing for seven competencies - which can be improved/learned through non-academic experience).

I took a year off this year and built/developed my non-academic attributes to help improve my success as a candidate and later as a practising dentist. This was not because I was lazy or did not get in - this was a calculated decision to ensure I would make the most successful applicant. I believe that I was successful this year (my first time applying) because of how well my interview went. Seventy percent of my examples came from this last year - that I took off: where I worked, got promoted at my job, and had time to develop my interpersonal relationships.

I believe a balance combination of both academic and non-academic attributes make for the most well-rounded application and a more developed clinician.

I got in my first time around.

Archived