Premed 101 Forums

international

Hi all,

To put it bluntly, I am considering going to the Caribbean, but I don't want to be considered a retard by friends and family. More so friends and colleagues than family, and my family doesn't really know the difference. I know this is the general perception, and knowing some people who went personally, the generalization holds true, it is sad to say. How bad are these schools really? Will they literally take anyone (and their money)?

Does anyone know of which international schools are the best? I've heard that Irish, Australian, and Polish schools have decent programs, and are not "diploma mills" like many of the Caribbean schools. Anyone know anything on the subject?

Thanks

You won't be considered a retard...whether or not you're "stupid" is really up to you and your determination. There are successful Canadians who have came back from the Carribean to work in Canada. I believe Leviathian is studying at Saba.

However, facing the reality is that there are some issues in finding residencies down there because of the number of candidates. In addition you may not get good class to instructor ratios. There are some disadvantages but it is still a viable option.

If I personally would choose to go international, I would go in the order of Australia, Ireland Carribean, and Europe.

Hi all,

To put it bluntly, I am considering going to the Caribbean, but I don't want to be considered a retard by friends and family. More so friends and colleagues than family, and my family doesn't really know the difference. I know this is the general perception, and knowing some people who went personally, the generalization holds true, it is sad to say. How bad are these schools really? Will they literally take anyone (and their money)?

Does anyone know of which international schools are the best? I've heard that Irish, Australian, and Polish schools have decent programs, and are not "diploma mills" like many of the Caribbean schools. Anyone know anything on the subject?

Thanks

I don't have much experience with carib schools. I know some chick that went to a low tier carib school (yes low tier even in the caribbean) and is now a family doc in the states.

Word of advice, do what YOU want to do, don't worry about how people perceive you. 90% of people have no idea about medical school or the medical system so why should you care about their opinion?

Hi all,

Thanks

1. Do you have the cash for tuition. Banks will not lend you the 250k LOC if your going out of country.

2. Are you willing to take the risk of failing out and taking the tuition hit (assuming you borrowed money from somewhere). Pass rate is 60% at the best Caribbean schools.

3. Are you willing to deal with the reality of maybe never coming to practice in Canada. (Realistically 4 med + 2-5 residency... even then maybe)

Those would be my concerns. Not how others perceive me.

why europe as last choice? is it for personal reasons or is there something about their system that makes it harder to come back?

Personal reasons - I am actually a bit unfamiliar with the system over there. Personal bias I know, but I want to stick to commonwealth schools first.

Why Aussie first? and why Europe last?

Aussie because of the weather and the schools have a bit of a better reputation than the Carribean. I wouldn't mind moving there permanently as well. Europe because of the above.

again, these are my personal rankings and choices...please don't take them too seriously, there are good threads about the pros and cons of each in the International Schools section.

Archived