Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry admissions

Hey, I'm only a second year undergrad with hopes to go to dental school.

Just one concern.

In my second here (at UWO) all my science related courses have been either high 80s or 90s. However, I regretfully and stupidly took a philosophy essay class (full-year) that I'm expecting a low 60 (lol, I know....).That 60 is obviously going to bring my GPA way down. For those that have been through the admission process, how detrimental do you think that 60 will be? Will dental schools be that worried about it, if I've been getting high 80s and 90s in every other class, and if I get high GPA's in 3rd and 4th year?

Thanks

Hey, I'm only a second year undergrad with hopes to go to dental school.

Just one concern.

In my second here (at UWO) all my science related courses have been either high 80s or 90s. However, I regretfully and stupidly took a philosophy essay class (full-year) that I'm expecting a low 60 (lol, I know....).That 60 is obviously going to bring my GPA way down. For those that have been through the admission process, how detrimental do you think that 60 will be? Will dental schools be that worried about it, if I've been getting high 80s and 90s in every other class, and if I get high GPA's in 3rd and 4th year?

Thanks

well, even if u got 90s in all ur other courses, with a high 60 in a full year course u would get 3.74 for that year. since ur not getting all 90s in all ur other courses, u would be around 3.7, which isnt that high. dental schools may or may not look at that year ex. uwo only looks at best 2 years. maybe u could retake the philosophy course during the summer?

**edit: basically u wouldnt want to use that year

Also look into how UWO (or other schools of interest) evaluates courses that you took again. Im not sure if UWO does this, but I know of other schools that will take the average of the two marks.

If you don't think you can do better in the course, don't take it again. You just don't want this year to count as one of your best 2 years.

good luck!:)

well, even if u got 90s in all ur other courses, with a high 60 in a full year course u would get 3.74 for that year. since ur not getting all 90s in all ur other courses, u would be around 3.7, which isnt that high. dental schools may or may not look at that year ex. uwo only looks at best 2 years. maybe u could retake the philosophy course during the summer?

**edit: basically u wouldnt want to use that year

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I realized my GPA will only be a 3.7 this year because of that class. Ah. Just out of curiosity, would you know if UWO (or U of T, for that matter) accepts summer school courses? I would definitely be willing to take it again.

Also, for anyone else who has gotten an interview or is in dental school (good job :D!)...do people generally rely on years 3 and 4 for their high GPA's?

Thanks

Also look into how UWO (or other schools of interest) evaluates courses that you took again. Im not sure if UWO does this, but I know of other schools that will take the average of the two marks.

If you don't think you can do better in the course, don't take it again. You just don't want this year to count as one of your best 2 years.

good luck!:)

yeh some schools average the two grades and some schools just replace the grade. i think uwo might actually replace the grade. but ur taking it in the summer so im not sure how this would work, bc some dental schools consider summer courses whereas some dont. its kind of confusing, u should look into this jakeology.

One 60 is not the end of the world, at most it will ruin your chance for admission in 3rd year. Ask the school to find out what they do with replacing marks, I am under the impression that retaking courses is usually not the best thing to do.

Thanks earth.razer! But what do you mean by replacing marks?

Archived