Premed 101 Forums

Are prep courses useful/necessary?

Soenuedo

Hey everyone,

I've heard a lot about all the MCAT prep courses available, and I am just wondering how you guys felt about them if you took them before/if you heard things about them? They cost quite a bit, and I can see that for non-science majors, it would be really useful for the PS and BS sections, but as a Science major, is it really necessary to spend thousands of dollars for the course? I am planning on buying the EK and maybe Kaplan/PR books to study on my own; is the material similar between their books and their courses?

The only sections that I am really worried about is VR and WS. Did any of you find that these prep courses really helped in those sections? If not, how else did you study for these two sections?

Thanks everyone!

Soe

There are a ton of threads about this, so you might be better suited by searching for them. At least one is right on the first page of this forum :)

My opinion: overpriced, underuseful. Studied on my own and did fine. Your mileage may vary depending on your learning technique.

Hey everyone,

I've heard a lot about all the MCAT prep courses available, and I am just wondering how you guys felt about them if you took them before/if you heard things about them? They cost quite a bit, and I can see that for non-science majors, it would be really useful for the PS and BS sections, but as a Science major, is it really necessary to spend thousands of dollars for the course? I am planning on buying the EK and maybe Kaplan/PR books to study on my own; is the material similar between their books and their courses?

The only sections that I am really worried about is VR and WS. Did any of you find that these prep courses really helped in those sections? If not, how else did you study for these two sections?

Thanks everyone!

Soe

Please use the search function found above, other threads have discussed this already.

Archived