Premed 101 Forums

mcat writing sample

Guest CHUBBY

Guest CHUBBY

hey all..hope they mcat studying is going well..

i'm just wondering whether the writing sample forum that dopetown started is still active..

i'm actually trying to think of an example of how a politician has comprimised in order to acheive their political goals and satisy their citizens...

after some brainstorming i cannot think of any concrete examples

any idea???

thanks

chubby

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

i'm actually trying to think of an example of how a politician has comprimised in order to acheive their political goals and satisy their citizens...
JFK and his public agenda to limit or eradicate the workings of the mafia. The public largely liked this idea, however, some would say that, courtesy of the CIA, he compromised his life by taking steps to realize his and the public's vision.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest dopetown

Yo, that forum is long dead.

I was a little too ambitious in promising to write one essay a day to put up for discussion. The act of copying an essay to a computer didn't appeal to anyone also.

Is this the prompt you're talking about?

Only those politicians who have learned the art of

compromise can achieve their political goals.

Describe a specific situation in which a politician might achieve a political goal without compromising. Discuss what you think determines when politicians should compromise to achieve a political goal.

A supporting example would be the division of Germany after World War 2. The "Big Three" met at Potsdam to discuss the fate of Germany after the war. Stalin wanted to rebuild the Soviet Union's economy by using Germany's industry. The United States didn't want to financially support the rebuiding of a country that would in turn help communist governments like that of the Soviet Union. So, a compromise was reached by the three parties. Germany was divided into four occupied zones. Britain, France and the US occupied western Germany, while the Soviet Union occupied the east. The citizens of each party was satisified to some extent, but not fully. I don't think opposing parties can ever be completely satisfied from a compromise.

A counterexample would be the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany. As I understand, Poland was some sort of important country to occupy, which gave Germany a strategic advantage. After gaining the trust of the other leaders and promising to leave Poland alone, he marched in and took control a few weeks after. There obviously was no compromise and Hitler got what he wanted. The one thing that may be sketchy about this example is whether or not it's a "political goal." Aren't all goals made by politicians "political goals?"

Hope that helps dude,

Dopetown

Guest Koppertone

Is it just me, or does everybody work in a WWII example when they write their essays? Who said that grade 12 history was useless!?

Guest CHUBBY

thanks..sounds like a good one...but for the opposing statement i was thinking about how not compromising on terrorist attacks can still lead to achieving poltical goals to make certain that terrorism is not used to solve problems...

Do you think this would be astrong example..do you have any other ideas..

thanks

chubby

Guest CHUBBY

Well i wanted to stay away from the Sept 11th attack b/c most Americans would probalby be using that.

The Oklahoma City Bombing was a terrorist attack against the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. A car bom was exploded etc...and in response to the attack the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 came into effect which is a series of laws in the US- to deter terrorism and provide justice to vbictim, provide an effective death penalty etc..

Although how do you think this could work with a synthesis?

chubby

Guest dopetown

From my examples, I would say that politicians should always try to find a compromise when dealing with an issue that will affect opposing parties. There were different options from which to choose when the "Big Three" dealt with the fate post-war Germany. However, when no common ground can be found between two extremes, then obviously politicians in power must choose either to achieve their goal or to not. Hitler, before the start of World War 2, made a choice to invade Poland. He could not have invaded only a part of Poland, nor could he have gained the same military advantages elsewhere, so he was left with a "black and white" situation and he chose to achieve his goal.

This applies to your terrorist example too. You can't really compromise with terrorists when it comes to the senseless killing of American people. Politicians are again left with two sides from which to choose. I'm sure you can write a bada$$ essay from your example with a similar line of reasoning in the synthesis.

What I'm writing here is just my thoughts. What would YOU write? There are different persepectives to choose from here. How could the extensive use of the 9/11 example by people from the States affect you negatively in your essay? If you have a strong example, why not use it?

Dopetown

Hmmm, I think I had that question or one like it on a mock Kaplan test last year. I believe I conjured up a hypothetical situation of a politician who was trying to present him/his party as environmentally friendly and so gave up their love of seal hunting or driving an SUV. :P

But I admit that this was probably my worst essay...I just wanted to show that you can use other types of examples. :)

Archived