Premed 101 Forums

I was going to apply to OT as a backup to PT, but realized that PT was for me and that I wouldn't be too happy doing anything else.

If you have any specific questions I can try my best to help answer them.

May 20th couldn't come soon enough!

I applied to OT at Mac and UWO. To be honest though, I would pick PT over OT just because I'm more familiar with the profession. OT is a newer profession and it's a very exciting field, their scope of practice is still being refined at this point though. OTs and PTs will definitely play a bigger role in Canadian health care, especially in Ontario. The direction of health care has put more emphasis into tertiary care and long term care in the patient's home rather than primary care in the traditional clinical setting due to our aging population.

Originally, I was most interested in PT, but the more I researched OT and also job shadowed an OT, my choice shifted. It worked out because I was accepted into the MOT at University of Alberta and rejected from UBC PT (and OT).

I have invitations for for McMaster OT/PT interviews and Toronto CAP for PT, but I think I will probably say that I am not attending. I think it will be nice to be close to home (BC).

Does anyone know about the reputations of the various OT programs?? Or are they all reported to be good? The one thing about U of A is that I think that the class is huge - 100 seats!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally, I was most interested in PT, but the more I researched OT and also job shadowed an OT, my choice shifted. It worked out because I was accepted into the MOT at University of Alberta and rejected from UBC PT (and OT).

I have invitations for for McMaster OT/PT interviews and Toronto CAP for PT, but I think I will probably say that I am not attending. I think it will be nice to be close to home (BC).

Does anyone know about the reputations of the various OT programs?? Or are they all reported to be good? The one thing about U of A is that I think that the class is huge - 100 seats!!!

If you don't mind me asking, did you get an interview at UBC for OT?

Hi sunshinegrl,

I also applied to McGill OT. Do you know how many people they interveiw or how many people apply? I dont know much about their admissions process. I was wondering if you would be able to fill me in!

Thanks and good luck!

chloeOT,

Sorry I wish I knew more! I'm not sure if you've already read this page....... http://www.mcgill.ca/spot/professional-masters/admissions/

It says iview invites are sent out in April and they are to be held sometime in May. Do you know anything about the QY year? Or if we were in the QY year and maintained the minimum of 3.0 cGPA, and we applied for the 5 semester Masters of Science (Applied) in Occupational Therapy, would we be guaranteed a spot in the program?

Hmmm, I can't seem to find much information!

Nvm, found information about the QY in the FAQ section... hahaha

If accepted into the Qualifying Year, am I guaranteed a spot with the M.Sc.A. Program?

Students who successfully complete the Qualifying Year with the minimum required cGPA of 3.0, and who submit an online application form for entry into the M.Sc.A.(O.T.)/M.Sc.A.(P.T.) will then proceed to the Professional Masters Program.

Sunshinegrl,

From my understanding the QY provides students with a strong foundation of anatomy and physiology with a focus on OT. I think McGill has a QY so that all MSc OT students will be on the same level upon entering the MSc OT program. McGill accepts CEGEP applicants, BSc OT (from McGill) applicants and undergrad applicants (like us). That is just my reasoning behind it (don’t quote me on it)!!

Hey everyone,

I received an invitation for the OT interview at McMaster... I was wondering if anyone knows what to expect in the MMI? How do you prepare for it? Any suggestions would be of great help!

Thanks.

From my understanding of the process, the MMI consists of different question types: ethical reasoning, debate, knowledge of the healthcare system, critical thinking, communication skills which may involve roleplay, etc.

There's a paper published in the year 2000? about the MMI structure with the questions they used to get results from the sample. MMI questions are not at all standardand usually the questions are not published. So just practise with a friend, or with as many friends as you can in the next week.

I received an invite from mcgill and was wondering if anyone else has heard back as well? Also, does anyone know what the interview is like?

Congrats on the mcmaster interview!

Congrats on your invite! I haven't heard back, my minerva still says that my application is ready for review. Did yours update? Or did you receive an e-mail? Also, are you from Quebec or OOP?

Congrats on your invite! I haven't heard back, my minerva still says that my application is ready for review. Did yours update? Or did you receive an e-mail? Also, are you from Quebec or OOP?

My minerva still says it is ready for review as well, I don't think they've changed anyones. I am from Ontario. Hopefully you will hear back soon, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived