Premed 101 Forums

Picking first year courses..

i was wondering if there is any advantage to picking a harder math course.. i quote western's math website:

"Calculus 1000 is the first university mathematics course for most Western science and many social science students. This course assumes that the student has completed an introductory calculus course, typically MCV 4U in high school. An enriched version of this course will run for the first time in fall 2011. Incoming first year students who enjoy mathematics will find this course the most suitable for their needs."

who would want to take the enriched course? i have a 98 in HS calc but i think i will still take the normal calc 1000 because id rather get a higher mark, i just dont understand who would want to take the enriched calc course? will calc 1000 be looked down upon by medschool admissions?

i was wondering if there is any advantage to picking a harder math course.. i quote western's math website:

"Calculus 1000 is the first university mathematics course for most Western science and many social science students. This course assumes that the student has completed an introductory calculus course, typically MCV 4U in high school. An enriched version of this course will run for the first time in fall 2011. Incoming first year students who enjoy mathematics will find this course the most suitable for their needs."

who would want to take the enriched course? i have a 98 in HS calc but i think i will still take the normal calc 1000 because id rather get a higher mark, i just dont understand who would want to take the enriched calc course? will calc 1000 be looked down upon by medschool admissions?

Can't see why it would be looked down upon at all... It sounds like the basic Intro Calc course that every university offers and every science major takes. The enriched version might be for people who are considering going into computer science/mathematics?

I am not sure about Western, but with my experience with first year calculus, one stream is designed for people who have taken high school calculus and one is for people who have not.

The goal is to get each group to the same spot by then end of the class. The non-enriched one has more hours of class time to achieve this.

Also, some schools have different levels of calculus required for different degree programs.

Archived