Premed 101 Forums

MD92

Since you are on these boards, you are already a step ahead of where I was before first year, but I do have a warning :) :

I entered first year of university thinking that because I had taken IB in high school, and had succeeded academically that I would not struggle too much to keep up and do well. I was very wrong. Things get in the way and come up in first year that you don't expect, especially if you choose to live in residence. My advice would be to take the classes that are absolutely necessary to complete your degree on time, but make sure you include easy electives as well.

For example I started university pursuing a BSc. Bio degree, and in first year first semester I took Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Math and English since they are all first year requirements for graduation and I was told by the academic counsellors in high school and at university this was the 'correct' structure. It killed me. Yes, all of these classes are required for a biology degree but you do not have to take them all in first year, since they can be slotted in across your four years. Yes, Biology was necessary to complete, but Physics and Math could be completed anywhere in my degree since there were no other courses I needed for which physics/math were pre-requisites. The other important thing to recognize is that some universities (like UBC) create a pre-req average and will only use your first attempt (unless you failed), so you have no chance to go back and improve your grades. In my case, I took the first half of chemistry and biology in that first semester, and received a B and C+ respectively (yes, ouch). When I took the next half of these courses a year or so later, I received grades in the A range. This is a very significant difference, and demonstrates that it was not my actual academic abilities that got in the way of getting good grades, but circumstance.

All in all, my advice is just to be careful; even the brightest crayon in the box makes mistakes. You can spread the recommended courses for the MCAT over at least the first two years, because even if you want to apply as a third year applicant as you will likely write the MCAT after you complete your second year. If you have school specific questions, regarding easy/interesting elective courses to substitute for some the very difficult ones I'm sure you have lined up, people on here will be more than willing to help.

Good luck :D

If you can, try not to take too many lab courses in a given semester. I know people who had three and four clases with labs, out of five or six, and having that many three-hour labs in a week is just very difficult to manage. Try to do just two lab-heavy classes a semester (so do say, first year chemistry and biology if those are pre-req courses for later year courses) and save physics for a different semester where you'll have fewer lab courses. Or do it in the summer if you can manage it.

Living in residence can definitely be a challenge. I was lucky - the university where I did my undergrad had Quiet sections in residence, and I lived in those sections my first and second years. It definitely helped to live in an area where quiet was enforced and where the other students tended to be more studious as well. We still had fun and became good friends, but weren't up all night partying.

So is Grade 11 and 12 physics Good enough for the MCAT? Anything beyond that i can teach myself from the prep books?

Yep, that's right. It's almost entirely things you can teach yourself, and I assume this is how people who aren't science students learn this. Just get a really comprehensive prep book if you're feeling unsure about it.

Yep, that's right. It's almost entirely things you can teach yourself, and I assume this is how people who aren't science students learn this. Just get a really comprehensive prep book if you're feeling unsure about it.

Well i have no knowledge about physics. Thats why im asking what i am. Was planning to take these adult courses that teach grade 11 and grade 12 physics. So if i do that and just study the rest from the books, should i be ready for it the physics on the MCAT?

Well i have no knowledge about physics. Thats why im asking what i am. Was planning to take these adult courses that teach grade 11 and grade 12 physics. So if i do that and just study the rest from the books, should i be ready for it the physics on the MCAT?

You should be fine.

Just do lots and lots of practice tests!

Archived