Premed 101 Forums

pros and cons

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

For those of you who go to Memorial already....

What is your favorites parts about MUN? What parts do you wish were different?

I've read the website to death so I know just about everything I can as a premed, but I would love to hear any firsthand experience with the program. Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clinicalchief

Hi DD, you've probably read some other posts from me and/or heard me talk on interview day, but since nobody else has responded, I'll put another plug in here. Things I like about MUN (in no particular order):

-early clinical/hands on experience; you can get as much as you can handle

-all expenses paid (for the most part) rural experience in first and second year with lots of clinical and non-clinical experience

-the fact that the school is located in a teaching hospital makes it easy to work with/talk to/be taught by clinicians

-small class size: for social reasons and more favourable resources/instructor ratios. There are awesome social events all the time

-tons and tons of extra-curricular activites/committees to be involved in

-george street

-gross anatomy labs where you don't have to do your own dissections / experimental surgery labs

-shadowing program where you follow a physician in a discipline of your choice each month...in hospital and out of hospital starting in first year

-year-round research opportunities in basic and clinical sciences

-school is located on the main university campus with all student services and is generally close to everything else

Things that some people (not necessarily me) would change about MUN:

-spending 8 months on basic sciences before you start clinical sciences (but don't forget you still learn clinical skills during this time)

-I honestly can't think of anything else right now...there are some small insignificant organizational problems that every other school will have as well not even worth mentioning...

MUN is just overall an awesome school with an awesome reputation...there are plenty of people in my class (and years ahead of me) who chose to come to MUN over other schools in Canada and the US based on reputation and word of mouth...any school in Canada is going to give you a comparable high quality education...but I would place bets to say that not all schools can offer you the early clinical experience and the social life that MUN can!!

cc

Archived