Premed 101 Forums

Is an iPhone really useful during clerkship?

Any kind of data device/smartphone is useful. Don't just limit yourself to looking at iPhone's.

I have an iPhone now, I use it all the time, but if I had my time back, I would consider purchasing another brand. I would like a cell phone that actually works as a phone consistently. Worst reception ever.

I had an iPod touch through my entire clerkship & found it sufficient. There were a few times when a smartphone would have been useful, but I don't think it had any significant impact on me to not have it in general. And I know lots of people don't get reliable reception in the hospital, with all sorts of phones and all sorts of carriers, so you can't count on it being available every time you look something up in every hospital. The iPod touch also has a much longer battery life.

In general, I think it's good to have some sort of peripheral brain system. Depending on your preference & budget, it can be an iPhone, an other kind of smart phone, an iPod touch, or a paper pocket book (lots of people actually preferred this option in my class, although I wasn't one of them). The important thing imo is that it lets you look up drug dosing, diseases and some anatomy that you may have forgotten.

Are you sure that's not just more of a problem with your phone company than the phone itself?

Well it sucked everywhere I went during my electives tour so the thing has been tried on several different networks.

iPhones are well known to have reception issues anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an iphone for clerkship, thinking it would be useful. It was at some points, but mostly it was easier to look stuff up elsewhere. I found it most useful to shed light on things that were mentioned in rounds/talks and get some quick background.

I should say I didn't use very many apps either- Uptodate (just a website shortcut on my screen), epocrates, medscape.

Apparently Toronto Notes will have a mobile app soon, that would be really useful cause all the information is condensed and easy to sort.

Archived