Premed 101 Forums

Prereqs for US Schools

Hello,

I am looking into applying to US schools, and was wondering if there is a thread or sticky somewhere that describes the GENERAL prereqs that US schools require for admission.

In particular I am curious about the English course prerequisite. Is there only one English course required (one term - 4months) ?

Hello,

I am looking into applying to US schools, and was wondering if there is a thread or sticky somewhere that describes the GENERAL prereqs that US schools require for admission.

In particular I am curious about the English course prerequisite. Is there only one English course required (one term - 4months) ?

Most schools will require one full year of English (2 half terms). They also generally require a year of physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology with labs.

Most schools will require one full year of English (2 half terms). They also generally require a year of physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology with labs.

Thank you. I have all the other courses covered other then English.

Now lets say I do the English courses in the summer would that still count as covering the prereqs even though they were not taken while taking a full course load?

Thank you. I have all the other courses covered other then English.

Now lets say I do the English courses in the summer would that still count as covering the prereqs even though they were not taken while taking a full course load?

Yup. You can take them anytime you want. I too was missing a half term of English, which I'm currently taking online from Ryerson.

Yup. You can take them anytime you want. I too was missing a half term of English, which I'm currently taking online from Ryerson.

Thanks so much. Would you mind telling me the course code for the online Ryerson course?

Thanks so much. Would you mind telling me the course code for the online Ryerson course?

Sure, there's a bunch of them. They are offered by the Chang school of continuing education. The one I'm taking is CENG 602, Women's literature and writing.

Sure, there's a bunch of them. They are offered by the Chang school of continuing education. The one I'm taking is CENG 602, Women's literature and writing.

I've been told that for English the marking can be pretty ridiculous (very subjective). Have you found this to be true with Ryerson's Chang school? Also, how do American schools view distance ed.?

I've been told that for English the marking can be pretty ridiculous (very subjective). Have you found this to be true with Ryerson's Chang school? Also, how do American schools view distance ed.?

Well I find all social science and English courses to be subjective. It's okay, I think I'll probably end up with an A- or B+ but that's because I don't really care. I'm usually late with the assignments and barely read any of the material and since I don't care about GPA at this point I don't mind it.

In terms of schools, I think it varies. I'm basically taking this for Boston U which is my top choice US school. They're okay with it being an online course. I don;t know whether the situation would be different if I were to take more courses online or if it was another school.

Well I find all social science and English courses to be subjective. It's okay, I think I'll probably end up with an A- or B+ but that's because I don't really care. I'm usually late with the assignments and barely read any of the material and since I don't care about GPA at this point I don't mind it.

In terms of schools, I think it varies. I'm basically taking this for Boston U which is my top choice US school. They're okay with it being an online course. I don;t know whether the situation would be different if I were to take more courses online or if it was another school.

I ask because I will have 3 credits from athabasca, and an English course in the summer would make it 4. However, I am planning on taking a full course load at a regular university this coming semester (sept.).

Anyway, if Boston university accepts online courses a lot of other schools should as well. Thanks for the info! BTW, does Boston accept Canadians or do you have dual citizenship?

I ask because I will have 3 credits from athabasca, and an English course in the summer would make it 4. However, I am planning on taking a full course load at a regular university this coming semester (sept.).

Anyway, if Boston university accepts online courses a lot of other schools should as well. Thanks for the info! BTW, does Boston accept Canadians or do you have dual citizenship?

der kaiser, I thought you have an interview comming up with limerick?

Archived