Premed 101 Forums

Effect of doing 2nd degree for US?

Hi all

I'm just wondering how doing a 2nd undergrad degree and increasing my GPA would look to US admissions.

If I graduate with a downward trend GPA (cGPA~3.6-3.7) and then I spend another 2~3 years of undergraduate years and then re-apply, would this be bad for mid-tier and even for top-tier schools?

Thanks

A CGPA of 3.6-3.7 is not the kiss of death for US med schools, not even the upper tiers. Just rock the MCAT, get 36+, get good extra curriculars and LOR's and you should have a shot. Doing a second degree IMO just for an upper year is not worth it. Think of it this way, by the time you are done your second degree, you pull your GPA to 3.7-3.8? With that time, you could have gotten into a low/mid tier or even upper tier and be in your fourth year of med school

There are some overlaps between the courses from my 1st degree and courses from my second degree, so I can basically finish the second degree in 2 years.

The problem with me is that I did fairly well in premed prerequisite courses (~3.95 average), but my GPA has a fairly obvious downward trend. I have been especially getting ****ty grades in senior year biology courses, and I'm afraid that this will look very bad and destroy my science GPA for american application.

From my undergraduate expereicne, I realized that I am a rather strong physics/chemistry person, so I'm thinknig about doing my 2nd degree related to those areas in order to boost my cGPA as well as sGPA.

Archived