Premed 101 Forums

5th year and gpa?

Hi again,

I've completed a lot of my degree on a part-time basis. I've decided to go back to my current university for one more year to take the final 2 courses to complete my BA, and take the opportunity to have a year of full-course load and get some MCAT-friendly courses under my belt because I'm an Arts student.

Question:

If I'm taking Bio, Chem, & Calculus at a 1000 level will this affect how med schools calculate my gpa because I'm in an upper year? Do I need to have a certain number of 3000 & 4000 level courses for certain schools to consider the grades?

Thank you!

Hi again,

I've completed a lot of my degree on a part-time basis. I've decided to go back to my current university for one more year to take the final 2 courses to complete my BA, and take the opportunity to have a year of full-course load and get some MCAT-friendly courses under my belt because I'm an Arts student.

Question:

If I'm taking Bio, Chem, & Calculus at a 1000 level will this affect how med schools calculate my gpa because I'm in an upper year? Do I need to have a certain number of 3000 & 4000 level courses for certain schools to consider the grades?

Thank you!

A few schools care about this - Western is the most specific about their requirements, but it may also affect you at U of T and Calgary.

It doesn't affect you at most schools, and Western is the only one where it will make or break you (you need 60% to be 3000 level or above).

Archived