Premed 101 Forums

Setting up electives at UBC

Hi guys,

I'm a first year at U of A, and I've been hearing alot about how hard it is to setup out-of-province electives in BC. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make getting an elective there easier, and maybe some ideas on why its so hard. To be honest I don't know much about the elective process so any info is appreciated.

Cheers

Apply early. Very early.

Why is it so hard? UBC had pretty large expansions in the past decade and they had to protect their own students by restricting elective time from non UBC students. Also, UBC has a rule that you must be a 4th year for the majority of electives. On top of that, Vancouver is a very desirable place to live and many people want to match there. Put that all together and it makes UBC a nightmare to schedule. Oooh and some programs won't interview you unless you do an elective in BC specifically.

This will be a reality for more schools including U of A and U of C when they deal with their expansions. You're going to have to fight hard for elective time.

Anyways, you're in first year, you've got so much time before you even need to know how that works. Go out and enjoy interphase or something non studious.

Archived