Premed 101 Forums

taking MCAT again but $ is an issue

doctorbetty

So I'm planning to write the MCAT again and my books are the 2008 edition - I have the NOVA physics/chemistry and the Gold Standard. I also have a McCrackers verbal reasoning book.... My scores on the first MCAT (2006) were Bio 10, Physics 11, Verbal Reasoning 9, WS M :(.... Obviously, my goal is to try and raise this score, particularly the VR and WS!!!!!!!! I got As in english but the WS is so hard and there are a million possible topics! Since it's been awhile, I will have to review everything of course......

My question is:

I can't afford to buy more books or take an MCAT course + will probably not be able to buy as many practice tests as I want. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get an amazing score if you don't do a zillion practice tests or can't take an MCAT course?

The course is definitely not necessary

In terms of the textbooks, I think you have enough to cover you for the sciences. From your previous score, it seems you got the bio and the phys sciences down. Unfortunately, verbal and the WS are the two hardest sections to improve. Its one of those "you got it or you dont" kind of sections. Sure, doing lots of practice problems/essays/read may improve your scores but most people generally peak at a certain score. My best advice for you is just review the textbooks that you have and do the free AAMC 3 test offered online. If you can get other free or cheap practice tests (ebay, this site's for sale section) then do those.

Good luck

The course is definitely not necessary

Unfortunately, verbal and the WS are the two hardest sections to improve. Its one of those "you got it or you dont" kind of sections. Sure, doing lots of practice problems/essays/read may improve your scores but most people generally peak at a certain score.

I think I do have a good chance at improving. The last time I wrote the MCAT, I had not taken philosophy, a course that definitely helps with argumentative writing. Also, if I make a commitment to reviewing history & political science --- I think that will make a difference as well. I freaked out on the first test because I couldn't think of any concrete examples. But being a self-directed learner, I will not peak at an M.

Do you need money? I can sell off some items, I can pull up another $100 or so, maybe another $50 after that off my credit card. I will need about 2 weeks, but can try sooner. When is your test date? Please let me know.

You can not be serious and I would be foolish to believe it! But thanks anyway!

I am 100% dead serious, and I don't intend to scam you in anyway.

I am serious, and do not intend you any malevolence in any way or form. If you need help, I can find some money for you. It may not be a lot since I have bills to pay too, but it is decent. I have some items that I no longer use (or could use), and can try to get money that way, and I haven't completely maxed out my credit cards. I know what it is like to be short on cash sometimes. It's gonna be tight for me the next few months, but you need books, and practice items and that is important. You have to do well on the MCAT, it's a big part of your medical school application.

Read my other posts and you can get a feel for the type of person I am, I only want to help, also one of the reasons why I want to go into Medicine. And further, it is about altruism, to give of oneself to help other people. I'm not doing it for any glory, or self-gain, and I don't expect anything in return, not even a thank-you. I won't be putting this on my application, and I won't be bragging about it to anyone.

I can always mail a money order to your friend, or uncle, and he can give it to you that way, so that you don't have to give me any personal details. Or if you prefer I can Paypal you some money. I can also send cash to you directly in an XPresspost envelope, so that I don't even need your name, or other personal details. I can mail the money to one of your friend's work address, or anything nonidentifiable to you. Only benevolence and altruism. Really, if you need help, just let me know. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to get an amazing score if you don't do a zillion practice tests or can't take an MCAT course?[/i]

I only used ExamKrackers for verbal section (pdf), my first-year class notes and a Kaplan book for science, and the free stuff from wikipremed.com.

My verbal went from a 6 in practice to an 11 in the actual test, just from going over timed verbal sections and reviewing the answer keys. It also helped to buy a few books and magazines and read them cover to cover in the days preceding the exam. In all I spent probably around $150, and scored decently.

I only used ExamKrackers for verbal section (pdf), my first-year class notes and a Kaplan book for science, and the free stuff from wikipremed.com.

My verbal went from a 6 in practice to an 11 in the actual test, just from going over timed verbal sections and reviewing the answer keys. It also helped to buy a few books and magazines and read them cover to cover in the days preceding the exam. In all I spent probably around $150, and scored decently.

OMG thats amazing!

May I ask you to tell us more about how you studied for the verbal part? Which books you used and what was your schedule like? Study tips?

My verbal is at around 5-6 and I really really need it to go several points higher. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks for great website man!!!

• 2 weeks later...
OMG thats amazing!

May I ask you to tell us more about how you studied for the verbal part? Which books you used and what was your schedule like? Study tips?

My verbal is at around 5-6 and I really really need it to go several points higher. Any input is appreciated!

If I can recall correctly, I spent about 2 weeks of full days doing only verbal practice tests (as I felt OK with the sciences). I printed out pages of A B C D, and just tanked practice sections using a timer, marked the tests, and then went over the detailed answers (you start getting a feel for the types of questions).

I eventually developed a strategy when reading a passage, something along the lines of figuring out what the writer was trying to convince me of, and what evidence they were using.

A week before the exam, I went to Colorado for my uncle's wedding, so I didn't have much time to practice but I bought magazines (like Scientific American) and some novels for the flights and indiscriminately read them cover-to-cover with, again, a focus on what the writer was trying to persuade.

Again, I used the ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages: http://www.amazon.ca/Examkrackers-Passages-MCAT-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858243

Study tips: reward yourself with a quick break every 1-1.5 hours, try studying in slightly noisy environments, and practice focusing intensely on the material without glazing over (used to happen a lot). Just get really comfortable with reading.

Ah I remember seeing your other threads talking about the wedding before your exam :P

Now I do have the EK101 book, and I can afford a month of full time study to verbal, so these are not problem. But I've been practising verbal for a month already and I don't see improvement. I wonder if there is anything special about how you review the questions after checking the answer that helps to develop the strategy? Or what exactly you do after completing a verbal test?

I am 100% dead serious, and I don't intend to scam you in anyway.

I am serious, and do not intend you any malevolence in any way or form. If you need help, I can find some money for you. It may not be a lot since I have bills to pay too, but it is decent. I have some items that I no longer use (or could use), and can try to get money that way, and I haven't completely maxed out my credit cards. I know what it is like to be short on cash sometimes. It's gonna be tight for me the next few months, but you need books, and practice items and that is important. You have to do well on the MCAT, it's a big part of your medical school application.

Read my other posts and you can get a feel for the type of person I am, I only want to help, also one of the reasons why I want to go into Medicine. And further, it is about altruism, to give of oneself to help other people. I'm not doing it for any glory, or self-gain, and I don't expect anything in return, not even a thank-you. I won't be putting this on my application, and I won't be bragging about it to anyone.

I can always mail a money order to your friend, or uncle, and he can give it to you that way, so that you don't have to give me any personal details. Or if you prefer I can Paypal you some money. I can also send cash to you directly in an XPresspost envelope, so that I don't even need your name, or other personal details. I can mail the money to one of your friend's work address, or anything nonidentifiable to you. Only benevolence and altruism. Really, if you need help, just let me know. Feel free to PM me anytime.

You are so completely full of **** it's not even funny. I don't know what your scam is, but I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. Any person offering to max out credit cards and send money to a stranger for "altruism" is obviously a liar and scammer. Get off this site, go **** yourself, and kindly burn in hell. :mad:

You are so completely full of **** it's not even funny. I don't know what your scam is, but I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. Any person offering to max out credit cards and send money to a stranger for "altruism" is obviously a liar and scammer. Get off this site, go **** yourself, and kindly burn in hell. :mad:

It's really sad when people who genuinely want to help someone else in need gets treated like this.

Archived