Premed 101 Forums

Anyoe use this book:Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam: Review and Pr

• 2 weeks later...

so whats good to use than?

It won't matter. The exam is mostly memorization of minutiae for the multiple choice section. The second section is barely any better. It's a very poorly designed attempt to make an oral exam into a written one and it doesn't work that well.

Moral of the story = don't buy anything you don't already have. If you have Toronto Notes, use them. If you have decent lecture notes from pre-clerkship, use those.

Some people have found question banks quite helpful (although not similar to the MCCQE multiple choice questions) like USMLE world. But I'd limit it to that. Bottom line, don't waste your money on other resources.

I liked using the case files book. Quite a friendly and pleasant way to study. Now if it helped... hard to say. Really it depends on what you like. Do you enjoy super brief summary? Then the MCCQE1 book might be good, or Toronto notes, or those Secrets books. Do you like stories, to make the subject stick with an (imaginary) patient? Try Case files, Blueprint cases, etc. Do you like more details/in dept coverage? For that there's Uptodate (which I used for some things and really liked), or even long books like Cecil's, etc. I don't think there's one good way for everyone.

I think it's a good idea to do the practice exams on the mcc website. Gives you a good idea of the style, and some (although very few) questions actually came back.

I think studying will only make a small difference, too. Basically, what you learn in clerkship imo is much more important and all the books in the world won't do that much good.

I liked using the case files book. Quite a friendly and pleasant way to study. Now if it helped... hard to say. Really it depends on what you like. Do you enjoy super brief summary? Then the MCCQE1 book might be good, or Toronto notes, or those Secrets books. Do you like stories, to make the subject stick with an (imaginary) patient? Try Case files, Blueprint cases, etc. Do you like more details/in dept coverage? For that there's Uptodate (which I used for some things and really liked), or even long books like Cecil's, etc. I don't think there's one good way for everyone.

I think it's a good idea to do the practice exams on the mcc website. Gives you a good idea of the style, and some (although very few) questions actually came back.

I think studying will only make a small difference, too. Basically, what you learn in clerkship imo is much more important and all the books in the world won't do that much good.

I totally agree with these feelings on Case Files. It's kind of fun to read the scenarios and try to figure out what's going on (and often be pleasantly surprised that you're right). However, I also can't say that it helped - of course, I can't really say that for any of the study methods I used (including reading our review lectures, Toronto Notes, etc.).

I'd say Toronto Notes is a bit more comprehensive and a contains a little more meat than the MCCQE1 "purple book."

Either way, the exam is just one huge clusterfart, and pretty much meant to screw with your head. I just wrote and I don't know that anything I could have done differently would have helped my cause.

- uOttawa Meds 2011

Has anyone used the following book for studying qe1 or no if its any good?

Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam: Review and Prep for MCCQE Part I.

is that the book with the blue/purple cover thats endorsed by cfms?

if yes, then that book is absolute CR*P!! Glosses over important topics and some of the information is actually incorrect.

I wouldn't use this book. Total waste of money.

Archived