Premed 101 Forums

English

Anyone know of any easy 1st year english courses offered online in your university?

SFU offers ENGL 101 (Intro to Fiction), 102 (Poetry), and 199 (Writing) on-line, usually in alternating semesters. I got an A+ in 101 and I am taking 102 right now (at least an A-)

SFU offers ENGL 101 (Intro to Fiction), 102 (Poetry), and 199 (Writing) on-line, usually in alternating semesters. I got an A+ in 101 and I am taking 102 right now (at least an A-)

199's not bad either, I got an A in it. It's somewhat less subjective than the other two, IMO!

199's not bad either, I got an A in it. It's somewhat less subjective than the other two, IMO!

That's nice to know. I had heard horror stories about people taking 199 and getting low marks. That's why I ended up taking 102.

OP: SFU probably has the best distance education program in Western Canada (minus Athabasca). I believe you can get almost an entire Criminology degree by distance and minors/certificates in a number of subjects. Here's their website, if you want to take a look: http://code.sfu.ca/

That's nice to know. I had heard horror stories about people taking 199 and getting low marks. That's why I ended up taking 102.

OP: SFU probably has the best distance education program in Western Canada (minus Athabasca). I believe you can get almost an entire Criminology degree by distance and minors/certificates in a number of subjects. Here's their website, if you want to take a look: http://code.sfu.ca/

Thanks.. I'll look into it. I just need a 1st year english course since my university isn't allowing me to take 1st and 2nd year english courses :(

What about 'healing fiction: literature and medicine'? Looks interesting enough, and its a 3rd year class so you should be able to enroll.

All 3rd year and 4th years who want to go to meds take that... it feels risky. I'd rather take an intro fiction/poetry course than an advanced one.

Has anyone taken healing fiction tho?

My friend took that Healing Fiction: Literature and Medicine course online through York and said it was very hard......too many readings, many technical glitches with the online timed exams and the prof is quite hard in terms of marking the essays. I got into the course last summer but then dropped it after speaking to my friend....I also had a hard time trying to get into any 1st and 2nd year english courses at York since the seats are reserved for english majors and the lady in the english dept is not helpful at all with enrollment.

Anyhow, I was also thinking of taking an online english course through another school like Athabasca but saw some posts on this form that mentioned that some US schools don't acknowledge online course because they think the course is easier or something.....I am not sure, I haven't done my own research on the matter yet as I have been busy with exams....but maybe someone else can comment on that, possibly with some examples of the schools that may not count online courses.

Anyhow, I was also thinking of taking an online english course through another school like Athabasca but saw some posts on this form that mentioned that some US schools don't acknowledge online course because they think the course is easier or something.....I am not sure, I haven't done my own research on the matter yet as I have been busy with exams....but maybe someone else can comment on that, possibly with some examples of the schools that may not count online courses.

Oh thanks for letting me know that... I wanted to take it for the US schools so I guess I won't take it online now. I'm strongly considering the first year english course at glendon now.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I am not a 100% sure about how online courses are considered by US med schools but I have just told you what I heard from others. I am hoping that someone else can confirm that for you.

I heard that in the US forums too... the problem is US schools don't really provide this kinda info on their websites...

Oh thanks for letting me know that... I wanted to take it for the US schools so I guess I won't take it online now. I'm strongly considering the first year english course at glendon now.

Well, if you decide to take an English course by distance at SFU, your transcript will not indicate that it was done on-line. There would be no way for US schools to know you did it by distance. Just a thought.

Well, if you decide to take an English course by distance at SFU, your transcript will not indicate that it was done on-line. There would be no way for US schools to know you did it by distance. Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking too....but I guess it might be obvious if you have a GTA address on the application and you say that you did 4 courses at York and one at SFU or anywhere else at the same time.

I emailed a few US schools to check on that....and I will you guys know when I hear back from them.

I am sooo confused, my grades are good enough for the states but its just the english course that is holding me back from being able to apply. I don't know what else I could do :confused:

That's what I was thinking too....but I guess it might be obvious if you have a GTA address on the application and you say that you did 4 courses at York and one at SFU or anywhere else at the same time.

I emailed a few US schools to check on that....and I will you guys know when I hear back from them.

I am sooo confused, my grades are good enough for the states but its just the english course that is holding me back from being able to apply. I don't know what else I could do :confused:

I assumed the OP was looking to take one class over the summer. When it comes to taking classes at two different universities, you have to be careful. Most schools require a letter of permission, meaning you can only take classes not offered at your school (English would not qualify for this). I'm not sure if they can kick you out of school if you get caught, but I'm sure they could take away scholarships.

I assumed the OP was looking to take one class over the summer. When it comes to taking classes at two different universities, you have to be careful. Most schools require a letter of permission, meaning you can only take classes not offered at your school (English would not qualify for this). I'm not sure if they can kick you out of school if you get caught, but I'm sure they could take away scholarships.

Yeah but even though its being offered, we are not being allowed in any of the first year english courses... :o

Archived