Premed 101 Forums

Is the Kaplan Prep Course Worth it?

Guest dayne67

Guest dayne67

Is the Kaplan Prep course worth taking for someone who hasn't taken an organic chemistry course?

I also haven't taken a physiology course, but about half of the biology course I took at UofT (BGYA02) covered physiology. Still, I probably have gaps in my knowledge of physiology. I will be taking an organic chem course over summer (CHM138) though.

I am sort of thinking about signing up for one of the prep courses, but I am not so sure if it would be worth taking since they will probably speed through a lot of the material in class, and since I won't know a bunch of the stuff yet, the course may not benefit me that much. I get the impression that the class will probably be geared towards re-orienting people with material that they have already learned.

Would the prep course be appropriate or would self-study be more suited for my situation?

I can't comment on Kaplan specifically but just wanted to let you know that 138 covers about 1/3 of the orgo on the mcat, 247 covers the rest (IR/NMR, aldol condensation, amides, carbonyl reactions, all that good stuff).

Guest Elaine I

I took the PR course to prepare for the MCAT. I had never taken physics, and it had been 8-9 years since I took general biology and organic chemistry. I found the prep course to be really helpful in teaching the material, as well as in providing high quality instructional materials. I probably had to do more homework than some, but I learned the necessary material.

Elaine

Guest studentz

Yes, absolutely. Or, more specifically, the written materials were good. The lectures didn't really teach me anything.

I hated orgo when I took it in university, didn't do too well in it, but worked really hard with the Kaplan material. It's presented at just the right level for the MCAT, cuts out extraneous things you don't need, and was clear. You will not need probably 3/4 of what you learn in the 138/247 sequence at U of T because it's covered in far greater detail than necessary for the MCAT.

I didn't look at my orgo text book that summer and got a 14 in a BS section that was probably 50% orgo, so I would say get your hands on the books if you can.

Hope it helps!

Guest dayne67

Thanks, for the input guys.

The reason I am taking CHM138 is because I want to at least half-way fulfil my organic chemistry requirement for some med schools (ie. Western). Since, CHM247 is being thought at the same time as CHM138 in the spring/summer session, I might take the second half of organic chem at Ryerson later on in the summer. CHM138 may only get me through one-third of the material of what's needed for the MCAT, but at least I will get a pre-requisite done in the process.

Plus, I am pretty good at self-study and ordered a decent organic chemistry textbook (Wade) to teach myself during the summer.

I am probably going to call Kaplan on Monday and find out if their are any spaces left for their classes.

Guest studentz

If you're buying the textbook just for the MCAT, I'd think twice about it. Most texts go into far more detail than you'll ever have to know for the test. If you haven't taken orgo before, there will be a lot to learn so stick to what's absolutely required (go by the AAMC content list).

Check Ebay, you may be able to get a Kaplan 2004 review book for a good price, which is probably the equivalent to the course books.

Archived