Premed 101 Forums

Number of Applicants with a Graduate degree

I am planning on doing a masters in science and noticed that Calgary accepted about 30-40 students with masters degrees but it doesn't say how many applicants have masters degrees. Anyone know this number? I guess I'm just wondering how much a masters will help me!

Thanks

It helps but it's just another activity. Rather than looking at stats you should consider if a master's degree really helps you in your other objectives, if you don't get in. Don't set yourself on a career path you don't really want.

I wonder how you could improve your application if you are not accepted this year without doing a master's degree? I mean you could always increase your activity/volunteer experience, etc. but I wonder how you could really make yourself stand out from a previous application? Any ideas/suggestions?

it depends where your application is lacking. use the feedback that you receive in terms of numbers from U of C to help you decide. If it is grades, you need more schooling at the undergrad level. If it is MCAT, you need to plan to rewrite it before the next application cycle. If it is ECs, you either need to increase your involvement, diversify your involvement, lengthen your involvement in specific ECs, or deepen your involvement by taking on larger roles (less superficial and more leadership/developmental). If it's your references, you need to find new ones.

HTH

LL

Archived