Premed 101 Forums

Academic Context

AR12

Hey everyone,

I just found out that McGill looks at the academic context of applicants and this includes distribution of course levels.

During my 3rd year, I took 5 3rd year courses and 5 2nd year courses.

So did anyone this year get an intereview having taken many lower courses in a certain year? Or does anyone have any insight into this?

Also is there a section in the McGill application where you can make comments? I ask because the majority of the 2nd year courses I took were because I switched programs and so if they had a comment section I could explain this.

Thanks in advance

Hey everyone,

I just found out that McGill looks at the academic context of applicants and this includes distribution of course levels.

During my 3rd year, I took 5 3rd year courses and 5 2nd year courses.

So did anyone this year get an intereview having taken many lower courses in a certain year? Or does anyone have any insight into this?

Also is there a section in the McGill application where you can make comments? I ask because the majority of the 2nd year courses I took were because I switched programs and so if they had a comment section I could explain this.

Thanks in advance

Don't worry about it. I know a lot of people who had taken 2nd year courses and 3rd year and they got interviews. They just look at course levels to see if you're not doing something extremely weird like taking 100 levels in your 3rd year or something like that. Really, it's not a problem so relax. :)

Thanks MedPen that does put my mind at ease:) The interview invites for this year got me a little worried! GPA didn't seem to correlate with getting an interview! So I thought the academic context part could explain it.

Thanks MedPen that does put my mind at ease:) The interview invites for this year got me a little worried! GPA didn't seem to correlate with getting an interview! So I thought the academic context part could explain it.

The GPA not correlating with interviews has a lot to do with the autobiographical letter and ECs. So-so GPA + great letter + ECs = interviews whereas awesome GPA + so-so ECs usually doesn't.

LOL MedPen ur reply just made me so much worrieder about that system. Lots of people take a 1st year course in 3rd. I did in order to take a 2nd year course which req'd it in 2nd sem. That cannot possibly be aan excluding factor... Maybe 3 1st year credits in 3rd year....

I wouldn't worry about it. There are people that start university in winter as well who ends up with course combinations like yours. Also, people switch faculties after 1 semester. Adcom ppl will beable to figure it out!

Archived