Premed 101 Forums

alkenes, alkynes and phenol testing on the MCAT

Guest Lokia BC

Guest Lokia BC

When the AAMC says there will be no testing of Alkenes, Benzenes and Phenols, does that mean no elimination and reduction questions? How about questions on aromaticity? Also, does anyone know if there will be questions about alkynes beyond nomenclature?

I am worried about being unprepared if I ignore these sections, but at the same time I do not want to waste time studying what I will not be tested on.

Cheers

Guest studentz

Hey Lokia BC,

What the AAMC says will be on the test is what will be on the test. It doesn't mean that these molecules won't appear anywhere, but you will not be required to have any prior info about them to answer the questions if they do appear. Basically, you'll get all the required info in the passage.

I refreshed the nomenclature and reviewed alkene reactions, but completely skipped benzene/aromatics and did very well, and my BS section had more orgo than bio. The Kaplan people still included these sections in the book and lecture, but I didn't bother with it.

If you're pressed for time, study the stuff that's actually on the list they give you. Just make sure you know about all these topics and you'll be fine!

www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf

Archived