Premed 101 Forums

Social Security Number

For those of us making the move south of the border, I have heard a SSN is required to apply for major credit cards, cell phones (certain carriers, that is), opening bank accounts, etc.

I can only imagine having a SSN would make life in the States that much easier.

Can anyone explain if this is true, and, if so, how one acquires a SSN, in terms of the necessary paperwork and process?

unless you have some kind of part time job with income, you can't get a SSN. I've heard ppl say on SDN that there's a non - work SSN card.. but I'm not too sure of the details, it might involve contacting the government, who may or may not issue you one.

unless you have some kind of part time job with income, you can't get a SSN. I've heard ppl say on SDN that there's a non - work SSN card.. but I'm not too sure of the details, it might involve contacting the government, who may or may not issue you one.

Not true. You can easily get an SSN for these purposes.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html#6

Scroll down to 6.

I had an SSN. It made life a lot easier. My SSN said "not authorized for work unless authorized by INS". Even today, I still use my SSN in the US. (Applying for electives, etc.)

***If you check “Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work” or “Other,” you must provide a document from a U.S. Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all the requirements for the government benefit. NOTE: Most agencies do not require that you have a Social Security number. Contact us to see if your reason qualifies for a Social Security number.***

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

So what would be some valid reasons I can list on my application that'll let me get a SSN? Apparently, banking needs are not a good reason...

I think the reason I put down was because I needed it for a cell phone or CC and they processed my application. I think I had my school write a letter stating I needed an SSN for non-work purposes at the time as well. I remember lining up in Bellingham for this. I still have my SS card with me (in my wallet too) if you don't believe me.

For those of us making the move south of the border, I have heard a SSN is required to apply for major credit cards, cell phones (certain carriers, that is), opening bank accounts, etc.

I can only imagine having a SSN would make life in the States that much easier.

Can anyone explain if this is true, and, if so, how one acquires a SSN, in terms of the necessary paperwork and process?

While having an SSN will certainly make life easier (yes, I do have one too), it is not a necessity. You can open bank accounts without one. Most cell carriers also have prepaid option of putting down a deposit without the need for credit check. As for credit cards, your Canadian credit hx does not transfer down south, so you will be starting off with a blank hx. Ergo, you wouldn't even qualify for a credit card anyways. You would have to start with the $500 starter card and work you way up which in itself takes years.

The only issue I can see is if you need a car down south. Granted you can always bring your car from Canada, but if you intend to buy and drive down here, you need to get insurance and insurance wants State driver license. To get a State-side license, you need multiple pieces of ID with the SSN checking off a large chunk of the requirement.

I had to get one prior to starting my PGY-1 transitional internship in the US. The hospital needed it as part of their credentialling/paperwork process. It was also the first part of the link to getting established in the US as an individual. I was asked to supply this card when starting my chequing and savings accounts at two separate banks, as well as when I applied to get my US driver's license. I used a prepaid cell phone throughout internship and residency, however, if you need a smartphone with a data plan, that is probably only going to be done on a monthly plan, for which a credit check will be required unless you want to pay the full, unsubsidized cost of the smartphone.

I was able to obtain a US credit card from my first bank after I had made a deposit into it showing that I had some funds available. That credit limit gradually increased as I established my credit history. I was then able to get a better credit card with actual rewards built into the card. As well, as a resident, you often qualify for better loans (physician loans) than the general public. I was able to use this to help finance a car and obtain a mortgage. All of these things are only accessible with an SSN, as far as I know. Like moo's, my card was only authorized for work approved by the INS, basically for post-graduate training only.

I'm not sure how different the process might be if you weren't in post-graduate studies yet where you are generating a resident/intern income. I do think it is way easier to live in the US with an SSN than without one.

Ian

I think the reason I put down was because I needed it for a cell phone or CC and they processed my application. I think I had my school write a letter stating I needed an SSN for non-work purposes at the time as well. I remember lining up in Bellingham for this. I still have my SS card with me (in my wallet too) if you don't believe me.

The SSN administration has gotten stricter over the years such that they tend to issue cards for more work purposes rather than things like getting a regular cell plan etc.

All you have to do is find a part time job on campus (ie. research) then have your school write you a letter saying you need one in order to get paid and 3 weeks later you'll have your card!

The SSN administration has gotten stricter over the years such that they tend to issue cards for more work purposes rather than things like getting a regular cell plan etc.

All you have to do is find a part time job on campus (ie. research) then have your school write you a letter saying you need one in order to get paid and 3 weeks later you'll have your card!

Yeah it's been a while since I lived in the US. But it wasnt difficult to get one. I actually had to use my SSN again when I applied to do an elective at UCSF last year. Made things a lot easier.

I used to have a United Mileage Plus CC. It's no longer active but I had developed a bit of a credit history when I used my TD Waterhouse (now BankNorth) CC with funds borrowed from my parents.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, a SSN will make life easier, but I found that I was able to get a cellphone using my Canadian SIN, and getting a US bank account was no problem.

Credit card: Bank of America (my bank) only let me get a credit card if an American relative co-signed. However, very soon after I submitted my application, Capital One tracked me down and offered me a card via mail offer, despite the fact that I used my Canadian SIN as an American SSN.

Yes, a SSN will make life easier, but I found that I was able to get a cellphone using my Canadian SIN, and getting a US bank account was no problem.

Credit card: Bank of America (my bank) only let me get a credit card if an American relative co-signed. However, very soon after I submitted my application, Capital One tracked me down and offered me a card via mail offer, despite the fact that I used my Canadian SIN as an American SSN.

Good to hear that it worked for you. Will try the same.

• 8 months later...

I'm a Canadian trained surgeon hopefully completing my FRCSC this year in General Surgery and will be pursuing a clinical fellowship next year in California. I've run into an issue with regards to the SSN and the California Medical Licensing Board.

The board requires a SSN in order to process my license application, however from what I've read I can't apply for an SSN until I'm actually residing in the US.

I'm currently waiting for my J1 visa to process in order to receive my DS2019

Does anyone out there have any experience or advice in this regard?

Thanks

I think you have two options.

You can apply for a "job" at the institution you are doing your fellowship at. Once you get this job, you will need to be paid. In order to get paid, you need an SSN. Therefore, if you can get yourself any sort of job--it can be temp work, that is, it can be one shift for two hours total--you will be given an SSN. This is my understanding of how the SSN works. Contact employment services at the institution, explain that you are looking for temp work, i.e. moving around boxes in the library for a couple hours.

The other option is to apply for Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN). This number has the same number of digits as an SSN and can be used pretty well anywhere an SSN is required.

I think the first option is the better one; it will help with banking, insurance, cell phones, etc. It will make your life easier.

Archived