Premed 101 Forums

Physiology for MCAT?

md-equation

Im wondering if the introduction to Plant/Animal Physiology course is worth taking in prep for the MCAT. I mean i read somewhere that Human physiology is more effective in preparing you for MCAT. Wondering if its worth even taking physio? Yes i realize i can study it out of the MCAT prep book, but i feel if i have some prior knowledge it may help me? Am i wrong?

Hey, I wouldn't go out of my way to take it just for the MCAT, but I took an Animal Physiology course and found it ended up helping a lot! I also like Animal more than human physio because of the comparative aspect of the course. Very cool.

Hey, I wouldn't go out of my way to take it just for the MCAT, but I took an Animal Physiology course and found it ended up helping a lot! I also like Animal more than human physio because of the comparative aspect of the course. Very cool.

Well, i'm not in the biology program at my school. So that means i get the lowest priority over courses when it comes to this subject in particular. So instead of waiting, i might take another course. However, if it helps and is worth while, i thought i'd wait it out....

It will definitely help you out, but overall its not necessary. The physiology on the mcat is pretty straight forward, menstrual cycle, endocrine system, action potentials and muscle contractions, etc. There's nothing conceptually very difficult about it, its just a matter of reading and knowing the content.

Once you hit the mcat you'll need to apply the content so whether or not you take the course will be meaningless provided you have a solid understanding of it at the time of writing.

I know that doesn't give you a straight forward answer but you know your own abilities much better than i do, so i hope it helps you decide!

I found that the physio on the MCAT was pretty basic and covered in 1st year bio. If not, it's not too difficult to learn yourself since it's just memorization (unlike ochem). A physio class may be helpful, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

I'd highly recommend taking a molecular biology/genetics course rather than Physio. Physio you can learn from a book just by simply memorization, and the actual MCAT doesn't generally test too indepth into this. However, on the MCAT, they tend to give you extraneous molecular biology experiments and you need to interpret them. If you have a background in reading research papers/learning that sort of stuff, than it'd make it easier.

Archived