Premed 101 Forums

Can somebody with exp chance me?

Hi,

I'm a third year student going onto fourth year in an Ontario university and is looking to apply to American schools (MD or MD/PhD) this fall (along with OMSAS).

I am not really familiar with the AMCAS system and am really confused about the possible selections for my case. So if someone with knowledge in this can please tell me:

1) Should I be aiming for low-tier, high-tier, or mid?

2) What are my chances?

Below are my stats, marks are in the Canadian system:

First year GPA: 3.97

Second year GPA: 3.97

Third year GPA (still waiting one more mark) but 3.99 at the moment)

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/WS): 13/09/13/Q

ECs: 3 years hospital volunteering, president of two student clubs, exec member on two other clubs. 3 years research experience with 5 publications (2 papers, 3 international conferences, not sure if the conferences count in AMCAS). Have done international volunteering, 4 years of private tutoring

Any help+advice is much appreciated.

-you have a very strong GPA and MCAT

-you have solid research experience

Advice: Consider mostly high and mid-tier... and apply early... AMCAS usually opens up soon, so start filling in the application and submit it once you feel ready. maybe do a 2-1, mid:hgh tier ratio... There are lots of schools in the USA so best to do some research.. Think about where you'll be living as well.

Check out the MSAR/US world news rankings. I think there was a excel file going around that had the data as well. Timing is the main issue for your application, so do research, go onto AMCAS and start your application, and follow the instructions.

Moral of Stort: Apply Early, Apply Early, Apply Early

Cheers and good luck

Good choices of schools, most are Canadian heavy

Even if you have good stats, you should apply to at least 15 schools. Remember, your "good" stats are average for harvard. Most ppl who apply will have stats like yours so it helps to have backup.

You should consider :

Case Western

Washington U (they really like good GPA/MCAT)

Stanford

Duke

Emory

Nymc

Boston U

Uchicago

NorthWestern (the infamous moo on this forum went here)

Vanderbilt

Georgetown

Penn

NYU

Colombia

Dartmouth

Thank you for the response!!

I did some research and decided on the following 7, feel free to comment.

Harvard

Dartmouth

Rosalind Franklin

U of Kentucky

Wayne State

SUNY Upstate

Jefferson

Apply to A LOT more schools. I would select between 15-20.

Great GPA .. Great cumulative MCAT ... but your Verbal score is lopsided which may affect getting interviews at top schools (ie. 11/12/11 looks better than 13/9/13 even though cumulatively it's less) ... Having said that ... don't redo your MCATs ... You'l make it in somewhere if you apply broadly, early and do well on your interviews :)

G'Luck!

Good choices of schools, most are Canadian heavy

Even if you have good stats, you should apply to at least 15 schools. Remember, your "good" stats are average for harvard. Most ppl who apply will have stats like yours so it helps to have backup.

You should consider :

Case Western

Washington U (they really like good GPA/MCAT)

Stanford

Duke

Emory

Nymc

Boston U

Uchicago

NorthWestern (the infamous moo on this forum went here)

Vanderbilt

Georgetown

Penn

NYU

Colombia

Dartmouth

I think this list is WAY too heavy weight centered. I would add more mid/lower tier schools.

A 35 MCAT is below the avg for WashU. Their avg MCAT hovers around ~37 now.

Archived