Premed 101 Forums

PR Flowers & Silver MCAT Review

Guest steak

Guest steak

Hey All,

Does anyone (preferably someone who's written) have any feedback on this book (4th ed)? So far, it's my only study source (planning on doing a few real sample exams later on) and I'm about 1/4 of the way through the book.

My only concern is that the sample questions seem to be rather straight-forward thus far. Am I just off to a good start, or am I going to get slammed when I see the real MCAT questions? (been burned with poor study guides in the past - aka Arco LSAT)

Sure, I can just look at a real past exam when I finish each section (PS, BS) of the book, but I'd rather not spend all that time only to find out that I've got to redo some studying..

Thanks,

Steak

Guest byjude

I haven't used this one, but I've heard that generally the reputable sources are the better guides (ie, your LSAT book, Arco may not have been the most reputable..??). I've heard good things about Flowers and Silver probably as THE best single book, if you had to choose only one. I've also heard good things about Examkrackers as well. Check out the online reviews at amazon.ca for more opinions.

Also, I've heard Princeton Review questions tend to be more representative than Kaplan (which tend to be either too hard or too easy but seldom similar in difficulty to the real MCAT).

If it's sample questions you're really focused on, then Princeton Review sounds to be one of the better sources, especially if you're planning to balance it with questions from the AAMC MCATs in the future. There are a bunch of supplemental sources you could use to balance things out, but if you're looking for one concise source to focus your studying and prep on, the book you have sounds (from what opinions I've read) to be one of the best.

Guest Ollie

I found the Floweres and Silvers questions to be a lot easier than those from the AAMC tests. I think that getting the AAMC MCATs is the way to go for practice. They are ridiculously expensive to buy new, but you can usually find them on ebay for pretty cheap (that's where I got mine).

Archived