Premed 101 Forums

Where should I go from here?

Im unsure what I should do now, a 5th year or masters or 2nd degree. These are my stats:

1st yr - ~1.5 (personal problems)

2nd - 3.55

3rd - 3.6

4th - 3.6

Should I even bother writing the MCAT? I have not written it yet. Basically Im trying to explore what options I have at this point and where to go from here. What would you guys say is the best thing for me to do? Honesty is appreciated but only if constructive. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Im unsure what I should do now, a 5th year or masters or 2nd degree. These are my stats:

1st yr - ~1.5 (personal problems)

2nd - 3.55

3rd - 3.6

4th - 3.6

Should I even bother writing the MCAT? I have not written it yet. Basically Im trying to explore what options I have at this point and where to go from here. What would you guys say is the best thing for me to do? Honesty is appreciated but only if constructive. Thanks

Since your last two year's GPA is good...it shows that you have the potential to do well. That being said, those grades are not competitive and will not be able to meet the cutoffs at the schools that look at last 2/best 2/recent 2 years.....you should look at doing a second degree and make sure to get a 3.75 or above in that degree. A masters will not help in this situation (you do not meet the cutoffs yet and only a few schools will give a small credit to masters degree) and a 5th year will not be ideal because you do not already have a year that meets the cutoff yet. So, the best way to go would be with a second degree (at least 2 years in duration)...make sure to pick your courses accordingly (60% at the year level of your studies etc....check with the schools of interest to make sure) and try to aim for a high GPA in those years to be able to have a decent shot at med. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

if i could tell me "past self" some tidbits on life...

and i say past self bc u have similar marks to me...with out the err "experience"

i would have go international...

save the time* and money** and started my life already!

*obviously i dont need to explain this...if u dont get rez..having started earlyer..u can take the 1-2-3-4 years (aka ur undergrad) to match

** money bc u will start practicing earlier and making the +100k salery earlier...yes someee of the schools costs more..but if u factor in the 4 years of "unproductive"(moneywise) time as an undergrade...at 75K each

u will be saying in the long run

ps...dont waste ur time with a masters...it is a load of ****...

I personally, wouldn't go international if you want to do a residency in Canada. It is becoming increasingly difficult for IMGs to get Canadian residencies, and will only be harder by the time you graduate medical school.

If you can do US, that might be a viable option. EDIT: If you don't mind DO, they often have more "forgiving" GPA and MCAT cut-offs, as long as the rest of your application is strong.

Archived