Premed 101 Forums

Guess my Academic Score!

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what my chances are of getting into U of C as an in-province applicant. Given these grades, what do you think my academic score would be?

cGPA: 3.46

last 2 years GPA: 3.95

Graduate school GPA: 4.0

Also I'm not sure how much weight is put into the subjective section of this calculation, but I graduated with a bachelor in science with honors and distinction (BIOC major) and also completed a Masters degree in Biochemistry.

Thanks for your input!

Plastic

Is the last two years part of ur undergrad or grad school? If ugrad then ur transcript obv shows an upward trend, and when u apply u can place a short explanation of why ur first couple years werent great. In this case you are likely to receive a good academic score. U ip or oop? Also depends on the courseload in the good years.

Hey,

Well technically my graduate studies were my last 2 years; however, I only took 1 course per year for a total of 2 courses. My last 2 years of undergraduate studies, I took a full course load and had a 3.95 GPA. My first 2 years of undergrad were quite horrific academically as I was much more interested in the social side of University.

Edit: I am applying as an in-province student.

Thanks for your input.

Plastic

What course did you take when your GPA was 3.46 and what were the courses with 3.95? I think they look into the courses as well -- difficulty, and how well they prepare you for medicine. For example, calculus vs. physiology.

I am guessing you probably have a lot of biochem... I'd say alteast 39 or 40, especially given the masters.

What course did you take when your GPA was 3.46 and what were the courses with 3.95? I think they look into the courses as well -- difficulty, and how well they prepare you for medicine. For example, calculus vs. physiology.

I am guessing you probably have a lot of biochem... I'd say alteast 39 or 40, especially given the masters.

What exactly are you basing that on? Just curious.

In my first 2 years I took the regular pre-req courses for a science degree.. intro biology/chemistry/physics/etc. Again, I was having way to much fun during these 2 years and my academics suffered accordingly.

My last 2 years, I took upper level Biochemistry and Microbiology courses, while my last semester I took a bunch of anatomy and physiology courses.

Edit: Just to clarify, my GPA in my first 2 years was about a 3.0 while my last 2 years was about 3.95 giving an overall cGPA of 3.46.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess as to what my academic score might be?

Thanks everyone.

Plastic

From the UofC admissions Blog:

January 31st, 2011 by Dr Ian Walker

Several people have contacted us either through here or by email wondering how the academic score is calculated. It is no secret to say that there is more to the academic score than a simple reflection of GPA. Certainly GPA is part of it, but reviewers also look at the entire academic record to make an assessment of the overall academic strength and suitability of applicants. I can’t really give any more details than that, but yes, there is a subjective component.

Given that this subjective component exists it is hard to predict what your academic score is.

What exactly are you basing that on? Just curious.

From the manual:

There is also a subjective review of the academic record by the file reviewers which asks the reviewers to assess the degree to which applicants have demonstrated the ability to master the academic content of the MD program.

In order for them to do this, they have to compare with similar courses in undergrad, like AP.

Me thinks this is how they determien it:

- Best 2 years.

- Suitability for medicine, based on the courses taken.

- Course load (though less a factor).

Also, I scored a 40 though with similiar stats, and I have taken a lot of pre-med courses such epidemiiology, anatmoy and physiology, biochemistry, etc. I also don't have a masters. Since, your 2 years is higher than mine, you have a masters, and we have taken similar courses -- atleast in the sciences -- i'm inclining towards atleast a 39.

From the manual:

In order for them to do this, they have to compare with similar courses in undergrad, like AP.

Me thinks this is how they determien it:

- Best 2 years.

- Suitability for medicine, based on the courses taken.

- Course load (though less a factor).

Also, I scored a 40 though my cGPA is around 3.5 but my 2 years was aroudn 3.85, and I have taken a lot of pre-med courses such epidemiiology, anatmoy and physiology, biochemistry, etc.

Thanks for the reply; our trends appear to be very similar. I would be ecstatic with anything above a 38.

Archived