Premed 101 Forums

Bloody Army and their bloody red tape...

Jaybird

So I just finished first year at Queen's, and I put in my application for the 772 Electronic Warfare Squadron around November or so. It's May, and they still haven't processed me, as apparently the entire Signals arm is going through a shake-down of some sort. Five years in the Cadets prepared me for some of DND's foot-dragging, but this is above and beyond the call of duty, so to speak:p

Any former/current CF people willing to lend a word of advice? I loved being a Cadet, but this is seriously discouraging crap...

Yeah, they say I need Top Secret security clearance, which sounds like a pain. I also applied PWOR, but they're waiting on 772 to give the yes/no first...seriously considering applying to be a CI and later CIC at the PWOR cadet unit. How's the pay for that?

Dude, November to may is nothing, a friend waited a year before they told him they lost some paper work and he had to redo a bunch of stuff. It took me from November to April but that's because I did everything ASAP. The background check can take really long depends on your family members, where they've been, where they've lived and more importantly where you've lived or been.

Hang in there, cause once your in the CF (at least reserves), admin and logistics will be just as slow and inefficient. My friend hasn't been paid in 6 months and that's considered somewhat normal cause the finance clerks are reservists too.

As for cadets or CIC, reg force and reservists have no respect for them (just telling you that now as a word of caution). I was in cadets for 5 years as well before joining the CF, and I didn't tell anyone that on BMQ, makes it so much easier to just forget everything cadets, the CIC has ever taught you

Good luck :D

Thanks all, I'm looking at the Army because it's what I consider a fun and educating experience, the pay is nice to have though. I want to do this, it's just that DND is making things so slow and difficult...even though I'm a Canadian citizen, my family coming from China probably doesn't help, either :D

You should also note that all trades are either over capacity or nearing full capacity at this point. There's a hiring freeze across the board. People are were rejected for steward at the recruiting office..... which is a first. I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything in the immediate future.

medtech is absolutely correct in saying that CICs and cadets get no respect. Most members of the reg force refuse to salute CIC officers.

And we've all had at least one kid on basic who liked to tell these "once upon a time in cadets...." stories, or try to tell everyone in the platoon that the Sgt was wrong and things really should be done another way. TEEEHEEE.

Good luck

As far as I know there are no "limits" to reserve unit numbers so this is only an issue if you want to go full time. That being said recruiting moves just as slow regardless of where you are headed.

Someone told me that budget cuts/restrictions is affecting the whole CF in terms of recruiting/hiring... but maybe he was only talking about reg force and civilian positions.

Forgive my ignorance but do different classes of reservists get paid from a separate pool(s) from the reg force?

Hey Jaybird, not only are my parents from China but I'm also from China. In fact I was in the communist youth for a while (good times :D) and my dad was in the party lol.

I really don't think that's the problem, what mm was saying about the trades is much more likely. As for the pay I'm not sure if it's separate pools for res vs reg but I know with different trades there's different levels of funding.

You should also note that all trades are either over capacity or nearing full capacity at this point. There's a hiring freeze across the board. People are were rejected for steward at the recruiting office..... which is a first. I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything in the immediate future.

medtech is absolutely correct in saying that CICs and cadets get no respect. Most members of the reg force refuse to salute CIC officers.

And we've all had at least one kid on basic who liked to tell these "once upon a time in cadets...." stories, or try to tell everyone in the platoon that the Sgt was wrong and things really should be done another way. TEEEHEEE.

Good luck

Cmon, I'm not that stupid :P well, what can you do, eh...I always did want to take karate...

Archived