Premed 101 Forums

Required

Guest ML

Hello,

I'm probably not going into a science background when I go to university next year, so I was windering what courses I should take as my electives if I want to do well on the MCAT and get into med school???

Also, which course do you think is more useful when doing the MCAT, Cell and Molecular Biology or Human Physiology?

Guest brandonite

I would say that the cell biology course would be more useful, however, you don't really need either one. All you need is Biology, Physics, Organic Chemistry, and General Chemistry. Any material from any other course is provided. I think cell biology would be a bit more advantagous than physiology, but that's a toss up. Physiology might be more helpful in medical school.

Actually, if you haven't taken it, genetics might be better for both the MCAT and med school. They're adding 5 questions on Genetics to the MCAT starting in 2003.

But, this is all guesswork, really... Good luck!

well if you just take Bio, Chem, Phys, and Orgo Chem, is it possible to get a descent score on the MCAT? or is it mostly guessing on the biology section if you don't have C&M BIO, Physiology, or Genetics?

ML,

I took the mcat after my first year of university. i had not completed cell biology, physiology or biochem before i took the exam (i'm taking them now). i scored well and from what i found on my exam and in the practice material, physiology (at least what is taught at the u of a) would be more useful than biochem/cell bio. keep in mind that the mcat provides information in the more complex problems that helps you to solve the question by logic. i think that with good study guides and practice exams, you can get a decent mark without second year courses. the best indicator of how you will rank is not what courses you've taken but the length and amount of time you studied. just take the required courses for med school and you will have a good background for the test.

Erin

Erin

I think that physiology would be the most helpful course or doing better on the BS section. I agree with everyone that they aren't really needed. You could probably use a good review book and do well if you put enough time into preparing. I had taken first year bio, chem, and physics, as well as organic, physiology I and II and cell bio I before I wrote the MCAT and I did quite well in the bio section.

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1154966700</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Required</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

clueless in biology

</username>

<dateline>1009243140</dateline>

<title>MCAT</title>

<pagetext>Just wanted to add my experience - I wrote my MCAT's after second year with organic chem just fresh in my mind. I didn't know a darned thing about physiology at the time. I didn't even really understand what a neuron, synapse was, or even just the really basic stuff. (I hadn't taken any human biology courses before, not even in high school).

I prepped by doing those practice tests put out by the AAMC for about two weeks prior, and that was it.

I found the layout of the exam such that it didn't really require you to actually *KNOW* things - it gave scenarios that explained some fundamental concepts (the idea being that you probably had never come across the concept before - i.e. there was an ECG on my exam that I had never seen before, or knew any theory about). I found that the answers were basically in the text of the question - you simply had to have the reasoning and cognitive ability to work it out for yourself.

I think this is the format of the "new" MCAT (as revised back in the early part of the 90's). The AAMC exams are reflective of this type of question. Questions out of Barron's/Kaplan/Princeton Review do not seem to follow this paradigm, and I too found doing questions out of those books a waste of time.

I did pretty well on the MCAT's (38 Q), with a 14 in BS, my best section. And I honestly can tell you, I didn't know anything about physiology or generally anything about the body when I wrote it.

I realize that this scenario may not apply to too many people, but it is an alternative experience that sort of supports the fact that the "new" MCAT was supposed to be more of a measure of cognitive skill rather than simply content knowledge.

Holy crap!

you did well on the MCAT!!!!!!! 38Q!!!!

but i'm probably going to pursue a BCOM, which means little elective time......so what would you choose to take between C&M Bio, or Physiology?

Thanks

Having taken cell bio, molec bio & genetics and a full year of physiology before the MCAT (I wrote the summer after 3rd year) I would suggest taking physiology if you have to make a choice. However, having said that, they are both useful so if you have room to do both- do them. But, as stated earlier in this thread, you can get a great score on the MCAT without taking either. The MCAT is one giant verbal reasoning exam although some of it is posing as a science exam. Everything that you need to know is given to you in the passage accompanying the questions. It is really testing your ability to read, comprehend and reason your way to the right answer not your ability to know lots of scientific details. However, basic science knowledge will help you to read, comprehend and reason about the information quicker and easier. Do lots of practice exams to get used to the format.

Good luck!!

Guest Ian Wong

I'd agree with aneliz. Much of the MCAT can be reasoned through. However, if you have the previous backgroun, you'll pick up the gist of the question much more rapidly, and saving time in the MCAT is the name of the game.

I don't know if you've visited the MCAT section of my website yet. If not, try here for some of my points of view back when the MCAT actually was vaguely fresh in my mind.

premed101.com/mcat.html

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived