Premed 101 Forums

decisions for acceptance

hi,

i was wondering how long Dalhousie gives accepted applicants to decide to accept an offer, given that the dates are way ahead of western and ontario schools (May)??

THANKS

If you were accepted on March 7th, you had until April 1st to decide. It appears that they are giving waitlisters much less time (about 2 days).

That is a bit rough for someone who's waiting/hoping to get in somewhere that releases decisions in May, but Dal's deposit is only 200$.

gb, do you happen to know what happens if you say you accept through email and also have an ontario offer? Dal's giving me almost no time and they won't give me any information until I say yes...but I need that information in order to make my decision! I don't want to accept this to get that info and then have my Ontario offer taken away. Any insight?

gb, do you happen to know what happens if you say you accept through email and also have an ontario offer? Dal's giving me almost no time and they won't give me any information until I say yes...but I need that information in order to make my decision! I don't want to accept this to get that info and then have my Ontario offer taken away. Any insight?

That can't happen. You can "accept" both offers and pay the deposit ($200 for Dal), and then take as much time as you want to make your decision. Don't wait too long, though, because the next person on the waitlist will be waiting to hear what you decide :).

I'm pretty sure you CANNOT accept both. If you accept an out of province and are on the waitlist of an ontario school, you can stay on the waitlist. However, any firm acceptance to one school will invalidate other acceptances. If at any time you've accepted two schools, they'll call you and force you to make a decision. If I were you, I would call the ontario school and ask them for their policy.

What sort of information are you looking for? If you haven't seen it, last years Don't Panic Guide contains a lot of good info (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/download/Dont_Panic_2010_Edition.pdf), or ask the forum (chances are someone will have an answer). I wouldn't imagine any issues with temporarily accepting both offers, other than losing a deposit from one of the schools you have accepted.

What sort of information are you looking for? If you haven't seen it, last years Don't Panic Guide contains a lot of good info (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/download/Dont_Panic_2010_Edition.pdf), or ask the forum (chances are someone will have an answer). I wouldn't imagine any issues with temporarily accepting both offers, other than losing a deposit from one of the schools you have accepted.

Oh the link doesn't work....

But I was wondering what the policy was for accepting.

If I were to lucky to get a spot at Dal, could I wait/pay deposit to way out my options, given that the Ontario/Western schools acceptance dates are in May?

Oh the link doesn't work....

But I was wondering what the policy was for accepting.

If I were to lucky to get a spot at Dal, could I wait/pay deposit to way out my options, given that the Ontario/Western schools acceptance dates are in May?

link should now work, just had an extra ) at the end of the URL. The decision to hold two acceptances for two different schools is your own - there is nothing I know of from stopping you from doing it, but if you get caught, you might face consequences.

I have every intention of making the decision as quickly as possible, but I'd like to know at least a little about Dal (more than what is on the website) before making a huge decision. I promise not to let it drag on.

Check out the link that mavrik posted on here if you haven't proton, it seems to have significant detail (more than the website). Good luck making your choice :).

I have every intention of making the decision as quickly as possible, but I'd like to know at least a little about Dal (more than what is on the website) before making a huge decision. I promise not to let it drag on.

Hey Proton,

Were you accepted off the WL for Dal? Did you end up having enough time to consider Ontario schools also?

Hey Proton,

Were you accepted off the WL for Dal? Did you end up having enough time to consider Ontario schools also?

Yep, I was accepted of the waitlist. I wouldn't really say it was much time to consider, but after a rather stressful couple of days I figured that Mac is the better choice for me and I declined Dal today. I called OMSAS though and apparently they're not in contact with any other provinces or their systems, so there's no way anyone would know, but the girl said she's sure the schools talk to each other, she just didn't know how often. For anyone wondering in the future, she said there's nothing stopping you from accepting in province and out of province, but that the schools might find out from each other.

Archived