Premed 101 Forums

Opinions needed on timing of mcat!

Guest clinicalchief

Guest clinicalchief

I know there are two schools in terms of writing the mcat after second or third year. I know the advantages / disadvantages of both but I'd like a second opinion in my situation. I'm not sure when the best time for myself woul be. If I write next august after my second year, I will have completed:

1 year Gen chem

1 year Physics

1 year Biology

1 year Organic

Molecular bio / Biochemistry

Phys chem

Inorganic chem

Logic

However, if I wait until after third year I will have completed in addition to the above, 1 year of human physiology, analytical chem, another organic course, plus about seven more biochem courses. Is this extra knowledge worth waiting (and maybe forgetting all the basics stuff) until third year?

I appreciate your input, thanks in advance!

Guest aneliz

You seem to be covering almost all of the MCAT subjects your second year. The only thing that you wouldn't have at the end of second year is physiology. (Which can be a huge help for the BS section!) Another thing to consider, do you feel that your 'test taking' skills would improve at all between 2nd and 3rd year? Will your reading/writing skill, comfort with multiple choice exams or time management/exam strategy improve? These types of things are just as important - if not more important- to doing well on the MCAT as covering the 'content' in class. Do an MCAT practice exam to see if you are comfortable with it. If you think you can ace it after second year - go for it! If not, wait a year. You really don't want to do it twice!

Good luck! :)

I concur with Aneliz's points. Personally, I would take it after second year by the looks of it because the human physiology that you need to know could be easily learned with some Kaplan/PR course (if you are planning on taking a course that is) or by self-learning. I didn't take my human/animal physiology course until third year and I don't think it hurt my Biosci section marks at all. But like aneliz said, do some practice exams and see how you feel afterwards and then make your informed decision.

Cheers!

Hi clinicalchief! I can only speak from personal experience, but if I would strongly suggest writing your MCATs following your second year.

Its amazing how much you can forget after just one year (even less!)! Sure your physiology course would be useful, but the physiology component of the MCAT is certainly something you could handle learning on your own.

Lets look at your two options:

Option A (after 2nd year) - all the core MCAT subject areas are fresh in your mind and you spend time learning human physiology (you could even take a summer course or one by distance - DAL offers human physiology by distance) - this is a HUGE advantage.

Option B (after 3rd year) - you complete human physiology but have to spend months re-learning most of what you learned in your second year - and trust me, this will happen.

I wrote my MCAT 2 years after completing my degree - I actually returned to university to re-take chemistry and do organic for the first time, specifically to take the MCAT. I spent the entire summer (and when I say entire, I mean ENTIRE summer April - August, EVERY day) re-learning physics, biology, and also keeping myself current on Organic and General Chemistry. This was no easy feat and I would advise anyone to take their MCAT early in their undergrad if they know they want to do medicine. For me, I didn't know - but if I had I would have been there after my first or second year provided I had completed the core chem, physics, bio, and organic courses.

The others make a good point regarding improved test taking ability being a potential benefit of waiting until after 3rd year. Its a trade off though. You could always re-write next year if your "after second year" attempt didn't work out.

Hope this helps! :)

Guest clinicalchief

Thanks guys for the encouraging replies! I really appreciate your help on this matter, I definitly will write after second year. aneilz: I took an elective this semester on memorization, test taking skills, time management etc. so I think I am prepared for those types of things, your right, waiting longer would only mean more work later. cgb: Thanks alot for the info about Dalhousie! I am going to consider taking the physiology by distance next year! Thanks alot people!

Mike

Archived