GPA (american): 3.67

Extracourricular:

Two summers of research

One summer as Princeton Review MCAT instructor

1 year of Hospital Emerg Volunteering

2 years as executive on my university's martial arts club

1 year as math tutor volunteering in disadvantaged neighborhoods

Beginning to volunteer at a soup kitchen

I applied to American schools last year but sent in the secondaries very late in November. I was rejected pre-interview at all 6 schools (Wayne, RFU, Jefferson, NYU, Einstein, Dartmouth)

What do you guys think I should do this year (aside from applying early)?

I am thinking of improving my extracourriculars with

1) Soup kitchen

2) perhaps a two-month volunteering trip to Africa?

Or, should I rewrite my MCAT and apply in September/October?

Thanks guys, and I appreciate your input!

Write a killer essay, make sure you are genuine and sincere. A well thought out essay detailing why medicine is for you can make a big difference.

Your MCAT is good- no need to rewrite. Even if you improve it slightly to 33-34 area, applying in September is late and will neutralize the potential MCAT gains. Apply early with your GPA/MCAT you should get in somewhere.

Write a killer essay, make sure you are genuine and sincere. A well thought out essay detailing why medicine is for you can make a big difference.

Your MCAT is good- no need to rewrite. Even if you improve it slightly to 33-34 area, applying in September is late and will neutralize the potential MCAT gains. Apply early with your GPA/MCAT you should get in somewhere.

my thoughts exactly. MCAT is good enough, GPA slightly low---apply early and broadly.

Archived