Premed 101 Forums

question about international students

Hey guys, I have sort of a weird question. Currently I am living in and attending University in Canada, I have both my Canadian and American Citizenship. I was just wondering that if i decide to apply to medical schools in the USA would I be considered an international student?

Yes you would be.

International students are based on their residence. But have you ever lived over in the states before? There might be a way around being an international student if you've lived there before.

You're probably going to need to take some other prereqs to get into the US schools. What school are you from in Canada, and what program? If I know this I can help you out a bit better.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm of the impression that if you are an American citizen then you are a domestic applicant. Most of the American schools require that undergraduate coursework take place in the U.S. or Canada.

This is also my understanding. As long as you completed your coursework in an accredited Canadian or US university and you have US citizenship, you will be considered as a US resident and not an international student.

Yes you would be.

International students are based on their residence. But have you ever lived over in the states before? There might be a way around being an international student if you've lived there before.

You're probably going to need to take some other prereqs to get into the US schools. What school are you from in Canada, and what program? If I know this I can help you out a bit better.

I go to York University and I'm in Kinesiology and Health Science Bsc.

As long as you have a citizenship, you are considered a US citizen (probably no resident for whichever school you apply to).

You would have a BIG advantage applying compared to Canadian citizens. Firstly, you can apply to a lot of state schools that doesnt accept Canadians. Secondly, you would qualify for federal aid/scholarships which makes financing your medical education a lot easier.

Good luck

Archived