Premed 101 Forums

ExamKrackers for studing for MCAT?

Remy

Hello

I heard that examkrackers are one of the better prep books for MCAT, but looking it up I found that it was published all the way back in 2007? Isn't that a bit out of date?

I already have a copy I got for free, and the orgo section questions cannot be answered based just on the material in the book... are all prep books like this? (you have to have prior knowledge of the subject, the prep books will only be review) I haven't taken organic chem yet

thanks

The MCAT hasn't changed significantly since 2007.

EK books tend to assume you already have some knowledge. I believe the others have different approaches. If you know the basics, I found EK to be a superb refresher, but not everyone is coming from the same background.

The MCAT hasn't changed significantly since 2007.

EK books tend to assume you already have some knowledge. I believe the others have different approaches. If you know the basics, I found EK to be a superb refresher, but not everyone is coming from the same background.

How about the anatomy and physiology sections in the bio EK book? I havent taken anatomy or human physio, but since it's memorization is it ok if I just studied from the EK bio book?

How about the anatomy and physiology sections in the bio EK book? I havent taken anatomy or human physio, but since it's memorization is it ok if I just studied from the EK bio book?

I dunno, I mostly used the audio osmosis and the Ochem book. I would guess it's fine, but do some practice questions and see how comfortable you feel. You can also fill in gaps with wikipremed, wikipedia, or just plain internet searching. AAMC offers guides to how much you need to know as well; take a look and see how comfortable you are with them.

EK are great books. I studied solely from them for all the sections and found the prep material was more than good enough.

However, I did have some background in the material from my first few years at UofT.

Nevertheless, I think EK is better than several others for giving you just what you need rather than telling you to know everything about everything, which is neither useful nor possible and merely adds to the stress you would feel on the day of your MCAT.

My trick (which I found helped me more than the prep) was to:

1. Take all the breaks in-between the sections

2. Practice deep breathing to slow your heart rate and relax your body and mind.

3. The minute you finish parts of the exam, forget about them. Move on confidently. Confidence was more important for me than anything else.

Archived