Premed 101 Forums

present / past MOTP applicant help

Hey Guys,

I got accepted to a medical school this year and finally trying to fulfill my goal as a medical officer in the Canadian Army.

If there's anyone on the forum who are either applying this year or applied in previous years, I really like to discuss some general things.

Application process? deadlines? decision dates?

I am currently not in Canada and won't be able to visit the recruiting office till mid-June but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi dk,

Here's a recent thread from the U of C relating to MOTP: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52295

ParaD gave lots of information about this year's competition. Mid-June might be too late to get everything done for this year, but I would email the MOTP recruiter ASAP to find out for sure. (alain.gagnon2@forces.gc.ca - taken from the forces.ca website) Remember that it's a big bureaucracy and everything is SLOW.

I have no experience being an MO, but if you want to ask any generic CF questions drop me a line. Good Luck!

Greetings fellow UBC VFMPer and MOTP applicant. I am in the class of 2013, and signed up with the CF shortly after being accepted.

When I wanted to apply, I had talked to Major Alain Gagnon in Ottawa, who is involved in recruiting and retention of medical officers. His contact information is online if you search for MOTP and the CF. He told me to go to my local recruiting office and to tell them to stamp my file as urgent. The selection board for MOTP was about July 10th, so they needed all my information in for that.

I went in to the office, talked with a recruiter, and wrote the aptitude test (easy). I had to do a basic vision and hearing test, and a basic medical screening. I then sat with an officer and had an interview talking about why I wanted to be part of the CF, and my leadership experience and such - standard interview fare.

If you're not able to get in to a recruiting office anytime soon, I would definitely email Major Gagnon and figure out with him what steps could be taken. I didn't get into the recruiting centre until Mid-June but was rushed through very quickly to get my application in in time for the selection board. However, the dates for selection this year may have changed and I have no idea what they are now.

I have been very happy with the CF up until this point in my medical education. They take very good care of you in subsidizing your education, as long as you're ready to commit to doing a family practice residency. Last summer I completed the first half of BMOQ officer training in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, and it was an interesting experience.

If you have any kind of questions or want to talk further about some of the details of what it's like, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it further. Right now is exam period here at UBC, so I may be a little slow to respond in the next week or so.

Someone beat me to the punch about emailing Major Gagnon, so do it ASAP.

Thanks for the info I will definitely contact the recruiting office right away.

I was in Canadian Forces Reserves during my undergrad. Do you think this will perhaps speedy up the process little bit?

Superking25 I am glad to know that there's MO applicant in UBC.

Hopefully i can ask you some questions in the future if i get accepted.

Thanks

I'm not sure if it will affect the speediness of the application process, but it will definitely help with the selection process. They were pretty quick when it was put in as urgent on my application. I had my aptitude test/medical/interview all within about a week or so of going into the office.

Archived