Premed 101 Forums

MCAT 2nd Attempt & Worse Performance

capnamerica

So I will be writing the MCAT for a second time, which I've tentatively booked or August 5 this summer. I received a <30 score the first time with an 8 in VR and an N in WS. I'm finding it incredibly hard to study (self-studying that is) and have done TBR's Physics Section 1 passages. Compared to my performance last summer when I took it for the first time, I did worse!...AND I actually read through the material twice. I'm really freaking out right now so I decided to turn to the interwebs for advice/morale.

Thanks!

hmmm. PastaInhaler's advice, which I'm kinda borrowing here (sorry Pasta) is to really bring your books to a cafe or study room. Do NOT bring your computer. Learn to form study groups with your friends who are motivated as well (or more motivated, can help you keep on track) Make sure you tell yourself that "I only want to write once".

In terms of interest, really, there are SO many relevant things you learn from MCAT. Yesterday on the subway I re-proved the Bernoulli effect by standing very close to the edge of the platform. The difference in pressures caused by the increase in speed of the train actually caused the air behind me to almost push me into the oncoming train. This is why they have that yellow line! Ah, science. It is everywhere you go. Try re-deriving formulas on everyday life and activities. Like in an armbar, it's almost an application of shear force on the elbow joint as well as torque. The hot water in your coffee - can you actually calculate the heat transferred at starbucks? Are there ethical concerns you have with your local politicians (essay)? That H1N1 virus - how does it work and how can we protect against ourselves? Why are some drugs soluble and non-soluble?

MCAT shall teach all.

*NOTE: DO NOT EVER TRY THAT ON THE SUBWAY - MACBOOK IS JUST CRAZY*

^ yeah motivation is really important. It shall be your fuel (think of hydrocarbons, thermochem, and orgo) for success.

And sure, drop a question here. I'm sure either I (trying to stay away from forums to study, lol, but I'm here anyway) or someone else here will be very happy to help.

Remember: we can all succeed if we collaborate!

So I will be writing the MCAT for a second time, which I've tentatively booked or August 5 this summer. I received a <30 score the first time with an 8 in VR and an N in WS. I'm finding it incredibly hard to study (self-studying that is) and have done TBR's Physics Section 1 passages. Compared to my performance last summer when I took it for the first time, I did worse!...AND I actually read through the material twice. I'm really freaking out right now so I decided to turn to the interwebs for advice/morale.

Thanks!

Hey capnamerica I know how you're feeling as I am in the same situation as you! I did the MCAT last summer but I did really awful on it (25M) :( I think the first thing you need to do is relax a little. You have a lot of time to study and to improve your scores. Don't freak out about the scores you are getting now but instead think about how you have more than 2 months to improve those scores! I know it's really difficult to get motivated especially when you see all of your friends having fun and you are stuck at the library studying all summer. Try sticking to a routine that you follow everyday. This may help you stay motivated. In the mornings, I go to yoga, then head to the library. I study for each section in order of the test (ps, vr, ws, bs). I do about 2 hours of studying the material per section and then do about an hour of passages after that to reinforce the material. I find sticking to this routine helps me stay motivated (especially having time to work out to keep me sane). Also I find eating well helps me stay more focused for longer (I know I sound super lame! lol). It's important to find a quiet place to study. I find it almost impossible to study at home so finding a quiet place like the library is really important! Just remember that you have already done the MCAT before so you know what to expect. You know more than you think so become confident in your ability because that is a key to succeeding on this exam! Hope this helps!

Archived