Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2015-things to know before we start

Hi,

I was wondering for those who are at OttawaU now, what are some things 2015s should know before we start in September? Ie; remember reading that we get a bursary for a laptop..? Anything else?

Maybe it'd be easier if you guys asked specific questions?

But with regards to your question about the laptop bursary, it is $3000 applied to your tuition if you choose not to get a laptop through the school. What you get for $3000? Dell Tablet PC and unlimited support to MedTech. Is it worth it? It seems like most people in our class have their own laptops. MacBooks are quite popular.

Hey! Just want to thank all ottawau med posters for all your help in applying and such. Just a quick question for next year....

1) Where would you guys recommend living? From people I've talked to, some that recommend living close to the hospitals while others suggest living closer to the main campus. Just want to hear the opinions of those on this site as their help as been so useful so far! Thanks in advance and looking forward to next year!

I have a f/u question... does anyone actually find the tablet function of a laptop useful? I'm on the fence with buying a new laptop... I like to think it would be cool to annotate class notes on a tablet, and it would be useful to do it by hand instead of using text only... but I was curious if U of O people could comment?

Maybe it'd be easier if you guys asked specific questions?

But with regards to your question about the laptop bursary, it is $3000 applied to your tuition if you choose not to get a laptop through the school. What you get for $3000? Dell Tablet PC and unlimited support to MedTech. Is it worth it? It seems like most people in our class have their own laptops. MacBooks are quite popular.

do u have to be receiving OSAP to be eligible for this automatic bursary?

@newmed2015

There are generally 3 areas where students live in Ottawa. Downtown, Lees, and Freedom Private. Downtown is preferable for those who like to live away from school, but it is more expensive. It is great for those who like to walk around, go to different restaurants, and go out on the weekends. Most students who live downtown either live along Elgin St. or in the Market (York St., etc.). It is easier to live downtown if you have a car although there is a shuttle from the U of O main campus to RGN. Lees is a street with a few apartment buildings that are reasonably priced. Many med students do live there. My personal dislike for the area is that you are neither downtown, nor by the school so you have to bus/drive no matter what. However, the students there really like it. Freedom Private is an area of housing RIGHT by the hospital and med school. It is literally a 5 minute walk. Downside is that all the houses are for 3-4 people so this would not work f you plan to live alone. BUT, you will definitely have other students in your class in the area for study dates, going out, etc.

I lived downtown this year and am switching to the freedom private area. I basically made my decision based on the convenience for the early mornings.

@mavrik13

Most students in our class did not get the tablet. Students who do have it say the one advantage is for radiology to be able to draw straight on the screen. I personally have been fine with my macbook.

@champ

Yes, you do need OSAP to be eligible for the laptop bursary.

I have some random questions that maybe someone knows?

1)apparently we're supposed to pick our electives early...how early is early?

2)will we get free backpacks this year?Does anyone know what they look like?

thanks!!

I have some random questions that maybe someone knows?

1)apparently we're supposed to pick our electives early...how early is early?

2)will we get free backpacks this year?Does anyone know what they look like?

thanks!!

1) Where did you hear this? You don't even have to do electives at all. Electives at Ottawa are the same thing as early observerships at other schools, where you follow and shadow a doctor for 10 hours.

2) This will be interesting to know. Every class gets free backpacks, however our class was a bit unique, in that we were the only medical school in Canada not to get the CMA/MD Financial backpacks. The Dean got us equivalent quality backpacks, but the design isn't the most attractive one out there, and it just feels like we're not a 'part' of the rest of the Canadian medical schools. The classes above us all have the traditional CMA/MD Financial backpacks.

Hey! Just want to thank all ottawau med posters for all your help in applying and such. Just a quick question for next year....

1) Where would you guys recommend living? From people I've talked to, some that recommend living close to the hospitals while others suggest living closer to the main campus. Just want to hear the opinions of those on this site as their help as been so useful so far! Thanks in advance and looking forward to next year!

I'm someone who lived near the hospital and am making an exodus to downtown this coming year. DJ88 made some good points.

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I'm someone who needs to be surrounded by density, people, and sound. I also want to live alone, having lived with room-mates during first-year and realized that I need private space.

For the laptop bursary- does this still exist? I was on the site and it mentioned nothing about it but did say that the program was changing this year.

There's an automatic bursary for 2000 or 4500 that all students with OSAP are given.. is this the new version of the laptop bursary?

For the laptop bursary- does this still exist? I was on the site and it mentioned nothing about it but did say that the program was changing this year.

There's an automatic bursary for 2000 or 4500 that all students with OSAP are given.. is this the new version of the laptop bursary?

There's no "laptop bursary" that 4500 is exactly it.

Ohhhh..thanks hkm! Sucks that OttawaU won't give us cma backpacks :( couldn't you just walk to the CMA office and grab one?

1) Where did you hear this? You don't even have to do electives at all. Electives at Ottawa are the same thing as early observerships at other schools, where you follow and shadow a doctor for 10 hours.

2) This will be interesting to know. Every class gets free backpacks, however our class was a bit unique, in that we were the only medical school in Canada not to get the CMA/MD Financial backpacks. The Dean got us equivalent quality backpacks, but the design isn't the most attractive one out there, and it just feels like we're not a 'part' of the rest of the Canadian medical schools. The classes above us all have the traditional CMA/MD Financial backpacks.

@newmed2015

There are generally 3 areas where students live in Ottawa. Downtown, Lees, and Freedom Private. Downtown is preferable for those who like to live away from school, but it is more expensive. It is great for those who like to walk around, go to different restaurants, and go out on the weekends. Most students who live downtown either live along Elgin St. or in the Market (York St., etc.). It is easier to live downtown if you have a car although there is a shuttle from the U of O main campus to RGN. Lees is a street with a few apartment buildings that are reasonably priced. Many med students do live there. My personal dislike for the area is that you are neither downtown, nor by the school so you have to bus/drive no matter what. However, the students there really like it. Freedom Private is an area of housing RIGHT by the hospital and med school. It is literally a 5 minute walk. Downside is that all the houses are for 3-4 people so this would not work f you plan to live alone. BUT, you will definitely have other students in your class in the area for study dates, going out, etc.

I lived downtown this year and am switching to the freedom private area. I basically made my decision based on the convenience for the early mornings.

I was one of the students who lived on Lees (for my 4yrs of med school) & quite liked it.

When I started, I didn't have a car. I could be biased, but I think Lees is one of the more convenient places to live if you don't have one. There's a shuttle bus that takes you downtown or to RGN, which is very useful. A big seller for me was living on the transitway, so I could grocery shop easily without a car. Getting home at 2 am from downtown is also easy on Lees. It's a 10-15 min walk from the market, and the transitway will take you home if you prefer to bus. Living closer to the hospital for me would have meant more cabs/asking classmates for rides all the time. It's about a 40 min walk from RGN, but you can take the bus, the shuttle or, when it's nice out, bike (about a 10 min ride once you know the shorter paths). In the winter, I really enjoyed being a 10 min walk to the canal to go skating/eat bevertails. So it totally depends on what you're looking for. If you want to roll out of bed and walk to class in 5 min, (which allows valuable sleep-ins), living closer to the hospital/RGN is a good idea. The houses there tend to be very nice, too, prettier than the less apartments. I think there are definite advantages to Lees too however.

People didn't mention Riverside dr, but there's lots of apartments there and lots of meds have been living there in the past, at least. They're a bit closer to RGN and a bit farther from downtown (around 10 min walk from Lees), and you're also on the transitway. No shuttle goes there, however.

Hey! I just have a few more housing questions, thanks again everyone so much for your replys! I'm really trying to decide between DT or Freedom Private.

For those at Freedom Private, is it hard/excessively inconvenient to get DT at nights/ to the main campus for the gym library ect...

And for those students who live DT is it a problem getting to class? Is there less of a community feel than Freedom Private because people are living in more scattered areas?

Hey! I just have a few more housing questions, thanks again everyone so much for your replys! I'm really trying to decide between DT or Freedom Private.

For those at Freedom Private, is it hard/excessively inconvenient to get DT at nights/ to the main campus for the gym library ect...

And for those students who live DT is it a problem getting to class? Is there less of a community feel than Freedom Private because people are living in more scattered areas?

I live downtown, so I can only speak to that, really. There's never a problem getting to class. For most of the year (except May) the shuttle runs every 20 minutes in both directions starting around 7:30, and takes about 20 min to get to RGN from campus. We also have an OCTranspo pass you live on or near the transitway it's fast to get to school - and the earliest bus is around 5am. Coming home is the same - the shuttle runs until around 9 or 10 and the bus runs until about 12:30 at night. When it's nicer out, it's a 20 minute bike ride or a 40 minute walk (once you know the short ways).

I guess the above would apply for getting from FP to downtown - it's pretty easy. But, coming home late at night is a little tougher - you have to cab if you plan on coming home from the bar past midnight or so.

I don't know how much of a community feel there is in Freedom Private, but living downtown you end up commuting to/from school with people who live downtown or at Lees, so it's definitely social then. I would say I feel more a part of Ottawa living downtown - some people who live out by RGN never make it down to the market or explore the rest of downtown Ottawa.

Clearly I'm biased! I would say there are more people moving downtown who lived near RGN last year, than the opposite.

I have a f/u question... does anyone actually find the tablet function of a laptop useful? I'm on the fence with buying a new laptop... I like to think it would be cool to annotate class notes on a tablet, and it would be useful to do it by hand instead of using text only... but I was curious if U of O people could comment?

As DJ88 said, the tablet is primarily useful for labelling diagrams if they aren't already. This will pretty much be for radiology and potentially pathology, which is a small part 'marks wise' when it comes to grading.

A laptop mouse + a mac laptop will, in my opinion, serve you far better for basically the same price. I can draw arrows and labels almost as quick and far more legibly in ppt anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
As DJ88 said, the tablet is primarily useful for labelling diagrams if they aren't already. This will pretty much be for radiology and potentially pathology, which is a small part 'marks wise' when it comes to grading.

A laptop mouse + a mac laptop will, in my opinion, serve you far better for basically the same price. I can draw arrows and labels almost as quick and far more legibly in ppt anyways.

Hi there,

just wondering, if I want to opt out for the mac option, do I have to buy it from a particular place in Ottawa (affiliated with the med school) so that it comes with the softwares we need or is that not required? I might buy the laptop in the states so I was wondering if there are any needed softwaresor can I just buy the laptop from any location?

Thanks

Hi there,

just wondering, if I want to opt out for the mac option, do I have to buy it from a particular place in Ottawa (affiliated with the med school) so that it comes with the softwares we need or is that not required? I might buy the laptop in the states so I was wondering if there are any needed softwaresor can I just buy the laptop from any location?

Thanks

Hi mozilladoc,

You can buy the laptop from any location. The only software you need is Microsoft Office or the equivalent Mac version. Most of the applications you will be using are web based provided by the school, so there is really no software you need to buy. You can buy any laptop at any location and install MS Office and you are good to go.

Je sais que tout le monde est en mode d`été mais je me demande si quelqu`un(e) dans le programme français pourrai me donné(e) des infos sur l`horaire d`une semaine typique.

Commençons-nous à 8 h ou à 9 h le matin? Aussi, j`ai entendu parlé des sessions d`APC et de clinique simulée les mardi et les jeudi respectivement, alors quelle heure serons-nous finis les mardi et les jeudi?

Archived