Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2015-things to know before we start

I've lived at Freedom Pvt every year and I really liked it, mainly because living anywhere else during the bus strike in my first year would have sucked. Also living close to the hospitals and the shuttle to the Civic is amazing for clerkship. It's approximately a 5 minute bus ride to downtown with some planning, it's an easy bus ride to grocery stores, and a maybe $10 cab ride from Elgin and $15 from downtown. You can also live on the Station side which is similar in terms of convenience for clerkship, Lees, or downtown.

When they say you need to set up electives they mean fourth year electives which you need to start setting up in December/January of third year so you are fine.

You do not need the school tablet. I'd say 95% of my class bought it but it's completely not worth it. I used the tablet function for radiology in first year but it's not essential.

It breaks frequently as most of my computer has been replaced (screen, fan, keyboard, external media base, power cord). It also only has like 60GB of space on the hard drive which sucks. The only school specific stuff requires Internet access, and there is no school software. Also Medtech loves mac so you'll be fine with a Mac.

Je sais que tout le monde est en mode d`été mais je me demande si quelqu`un(e) dans le programme français pourrai me donné(e) des infos sur l`horaire d`une semaine typique.

Commençons-nous à 8 h ou à 9 h le matin? Aussi, j`ai entendu parlé des sessions d`APC et de clinique simulée les mardi et les jeudi respectivement, alors quelle heure serons-nous finis les mardi et les jeudi?

Je suis dans le programme anglais, mais je peux te dire qu'on commencait tous a 8h30 (8h00 les jeudis) et the jeudis après-midi on finissait entre 16h et 16h30 (normallement, parfois plus tot). Le programme anglais n'a rien les mardi après-midi, alors je ne peux pas parler a l'heure auquelle vous finissez. Les autres journees termine a 12h30 (si tu vas at toute les classes)

• 2 weeks later...

Parking is pretty expensive

See: http://www.protection.uottawa.ca/en/Longtermparking-RGN.html

Students who purchase a parking pass get one for Lot H, which is the lot right by RGN (very convenient). It costs 569.92+tax for a non-transferable one (meaning you can park only in that lot until 4 PM and then can use other main campus lots after 4 PM - see website). That fee only covers Sept.-April so you have to pay around $80 more for May (they allow med students to renew for the month). There is also a transferable pass, which costs more. This pass allows you to park at some lots on main campus during the day.

Most students I know got the non-transferable pass. I would only spend the extra $100 if you really plan to be on main campus a lot. Otherwise you can just pay for parking on the few occasions that you go to main campus in the day.

Do you guys know when we might get our student numbers and login information so that we can buy a parking pass? I phoned them like 2 weeks ago and they said they were working on it and should be done soon, but they didn't give me a specific date.

Archived