Premed 101 Forums

Chances??

Hello

I currently finished my 4th year in a biochem honors degree

I am graduating in december because of some extra courses i needed (english and a management minor (regret taking it).

My stats are

cGPA: 3.54

MCAT: 35R (11/10/14)

My ECs consist of

- three years of research (1 publication in submission)

- leadership positions on a few councils (Biochem society... etc)

- Volunteering: 2 years of volunteering with mentally handicapped adults, 2 years of peer tutoring, a bit of shadowing.... no clinical volunteering :(

- 4 years on a varsity sports team (named to provincial all-star team last 2 years)

I am worried about my gpa and volunteering so over the summer, I am volunteering for abroad and then volunteering at a hospital back at home (BC).

What are my chances at low to mid tier schools and what schools do i have shot at applying for...

thanks so much

Hello

I am graduating in december because of some extra courses i needed (english and a management minor (regret taking it).

My stats are

My ECs consist of

- Volunteering: 2 years of volunteering with mentally handicapped adults, 2 years of peer tutoring, a bit of shadowing.... no clinical volunteering :(

- 4 years on a varsity sports team (named to provincial all-star team last 2 years)

I am worried about my gpa and volunteering so over the summer, I am volunteering for abroad and then volunteering at a hospital back at home (BC).

What are my chances at low to mid tier schools and what schools do i have shot at applying for...

thanks so much

I think you have a pretty good shot at low and mid-tier schools and even some of the top-tier ones. Your GPA is not really that high but your MCAT score should more than make up for it. Based on my personal experience, I think US schools places more emphasis on MCAT anyways. As for ECs, it is generally better to have few activities that you have long commitments to than lots of activities with short commitments. My advice would be, apply early and broadly (i.e. mixture of top, mid and low tier schools). Good luck!

MD Candidate 2015, University of Western Ontario

The Stats are good. However, no clinical volunteering is a bid red flag for US schools and may result you in not getting accepted in any schools because of your lack of clinical exposure. You want to get to a hospital/clinic and start volunteering ASAP and update the schools.

Hello

My stats are

My ECs consist of

thanks so much

Hi all,

Just need some input on which schools I should apply to. I will be applying for the first and last time for US schools both DO's and allopathics. I have made my decision as for the DO's but not on the allopathics yet.

I am a mature applicant from BC. Rejected 2x after interview at UBC. Took MCAT already 5 times (English as second language and did not get to use English daily until the day I came to Canada in 1996) and the last one was in 2009 (11PS 7VR 12BS Q) and therefore, no more MCAT ever. Since most med schools in the US would like MCAT no older than 3 years, I will not be able to apply next year. My AMCAS overall GPA is around 3.68.

There are soooo many allopathic med schools to choose from. However, I do realize that my application is quite weak and therefore, I decided not to apply to top tier schools.

So far, these are some of the lists I gathered so far. Please let me know what you think.

Oakland University

Med college of Wisconsin

Loma Linda

VCU

Suny Upstate

NY Medical college

Georgetown

St Louis University

Emory

Northwestern

Dartmouth

Howard College of medicine