Premed 101 Forums

*Which MCAT prep books

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Irene

Date:***9/7/2000 2:21 pm*PST

Hi everybody,

Anyone have suggestions for good MCAT preparation books? How much time do you advice for preparation? When should I register for MCAT?

Irene

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***9/7/2000 3:16 pm*PST

I've heard that the Gold Standard MCAT preparation book is pretty good. I think the Princeton Review book is another popular choice. I'm not sure how much is typically spent in preparing, but I'm taking it next August and plan to spend at least 10 hours a week (for 15 weeks) studying once my exams are over. You have to register at least a month before; earlier would probably be better.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/7/2000 9:11 pm*PST

Earlier is definitely better. I had a friend at UVic who waited a bit too long to register. When he finally got around to it, the testing room at UVic was booked full, so they told him that he needed to travel to Vancouver for a seat to write the exam!

After much begging and phone-calling, they managed to find a vacancy for him. I'd check out the AAMC site (www.aamc.org), and register on, or as close to, the day that registration opens. It's unlikely that you'll be put in the same situation as my friend, but applying to med school is stressful enough without making it even harder on yourself.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***9/8/2000 10:23 pm*PST

I used the Gold Standard and it's fairly good. I will know how good when I get my scores this October/November.

I've also heard from some people who took the Princeton Review that they learned a lot of stuff from that course which absolutely had no applicability to the MCAT and that they wasted a lot of time studying useless info.

Any thoughts on this?

• 8 years later...
Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***9/8/2000 10:23 pm*PST

I used the Gold Standard and it's fairly good. I will know how good when I get my scores this October/November.

I've also heard from some people who took the Princeton Review that they learned a lot of stuff from that course which absolutely had no applicability to the MCAT and that they wasted a lot of time studying useless info.

Any thoughts on this?

Ya well i used it and i found it good. I got an excellent score.

Archived