Premed 101 Forums

Re-write MCATs?

Guest mta guy

Guest mta guy

hi all,

I've reading through the messages on the board (btw. Ian, this is a MUCH better board, thanks). Well, I have a decision to make. I believe that I already know the answer, but I just wanted to see what you guys have to say. I'm currently in third year I wrote the August MCATs and I did worse than I thought (coming out of the test) I had a 9V, 7P, 8B. I can apply to the schools that don't require the MCATs and to Dal. My GPA is not stellar (approx 3.6) I will be working on my honours project this summer as well as take a summer course, start the applications' prep. along with the MCAT prep...a very busy summer as you can see. I just don't know if my marks will improve or not after writing the test. the Test, I've found is a major committment of time and energy, so I'm not taking the decision lightly (not to mention the associated costs!)

What do you guys think?

mta guy

mta,

i'm writing my mcat this summer after one year of university & while working a full time research job at the u of a, so i think i understand what you mean about a "busy" summer... i know the U of A's policy on MCATs is "nothing less than 7", and you have achieved that, so if your 3.6 average makes their cut-offs, you might get an interview. Check: www.registrar.ualberta.ca...mpare.html to convert all your current marks to a 9 point mark and then calculate the average (full year courses count twice as much as 1/2 year, and they don't look at summer courses unless they are prereq's)... simply using a final average of 3.6 in the grid won't work... I have heard of people getting into U of A with GPAs of 7.7 & up (this gives me *so* much hope), so it's worth your best shot...

As for rewriting the MCATs, I don't have much advice to give you... I get such butterflies in my stomach at the thought of the up & coming August exam that I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it twice...

good luck,

EB

UG1, Edmonton

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello,

Regarding Dalhousie, I believe that their MCAT requirements are high (10s across the board for out-of-province applicants), so you may wish to double-check that statistic before applying.

Good luck no matter what you end up doing,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Heya mta guy,

When you wrote that MCAT, how prepared were you for it? Do you think that this summer you'll have a better chance to study for the exam? This is a really important question that I think you'll need to answer.

However, my gut opinion is that you should (without question) re-write the MCAT. A 24 MCAT really disqualitfies you from applying to most of the Canadian medical schools. In particular, if you happen to have that lofty quality of Ontario residency, you'll be throwing away a huge opportunity, as you effectively can't apply to Queens, Western, or U of T with your current MCAT scores.

There are exceptions to everything however (low MCAT's included): there's a girl in my class who was accepted with a 23M, which is the absolute lowest score that met the UBC cutoffs, but that's really an exception, and not something to be relied upon.

My personal advice would be to dedicate your summer to 2-3 major tasks at the most. It sounds like you're locked in for your summer project, and you should definitely apply to those medical schools (for the experience if nothing else), and preparing for the MCAT should be your last goal. Is it at all possible to drop the summer course, or is it required as a pre-req for fourth year courses?

You've really got to look at the long-term goal of getting into med school. A very large proportion of what you are doing in undergrad has already been focussed on that goal.

From that perspective, putting in a summer course generally doesn't make much sense if it puts other really important aspects of your application in jeopardy. The only thing you really gain from summer courses is time, and in reality, being adequately prepared for the MCAT is far more important than saving a year. Therefore, unless you absolutely need that course for fourth year, I'd take a long, hard look at dropping it, and using that extra time to kick ass on your MCAT re-write.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest mta guy

hi all,

thanks for the replies. Actually, BC girl is right, I am a Maritime resident attending Mount Allison and so I can technically apply to Dal with those stats. Ian, in response to your comments, the summer course I'm planning to take is a first year English course, something that is required by many med schools. If I don't take it this summer, can I still apply to those med schools this fall (and take two English courses next summer instead). I wonder how that will play out if the course is required for a pre-req average?? I think I may be confused about that point. I'd love some clarification :-)

Thanks!

mta guy

mta UG 3

Guest Random

MtA guy:

There's something that some schools do that is known as a conditional acceptance.

For instance, two of my friends that got into UWO and UofT 2 years ago applied to these schools without even taking Orgo - that's right, Organic Chemistry.

Oh yeah, another guy I know as well applied without the English (this would most apply to your case).

In all 3 cases the individuals received interviews and were later offered conditional acceptances. These offers stated that the person simply had to obtain the credit in the prereq (that's right a 50%) in order to matriculate for that September's class.

Personally, I don't agree with such a policy b/c it diminishes the importance of the prereq (especially if its' Orgo - good luck understanding Pharmacology without it) and allows people to manipulate the system.

Regardless all 3 are in; therefore, it is possible. Call each individual school of course to see if this rule will apply.

I normally wouldn't suggest something like this but I figured it might get you out of your current bind.

Hope this helps.

Archived