Premed 101 Forums

What are General rounds?

Rounds that are very general.

LOLLLLLL no non meds cannot come and listen - rules of patient confidentiality. General rounds are when groups of students get to look at certain cases at the hospital under a preceptor.

EDIT: more specifically, non-healthcare professionals are generally not allowed...

During rounds, residents, attendings, pharmacists will all gather together. They will talk about each patient, and then go see them. Learning about practical medicine happens during that time. There is always something to learn from the hospital pharmacists. A plan for each patient will be laid out at the end of the rounds.

I wonder if there is any difference between grand rounds and general rounds? Grand rounds at my school is open to anyone, I have been a few times. It was basically a seminar about an interesting/relevant case, but often just starts that way and turns into a discussion of decisions or a detailed review of the literature. The experts chime in and a couple of cocky residents usually have something to say.

Sometimes it is fascinating and emotional... like 'Whose fault was it that this patient died?"

If you don't want to get noticed, don't roll in 5 minutes late. I have seen residents get called out when coming in late and totally put on the spot!

Not necessarily- I attend clinical rounds...I work with one of the people who is part of the core team though so I go with them. I generally try to keep quiet and not make myself noticed.

Probably wouldn't go over too well if some random pre-med just came in and sat down though :P

Yeah I was more or less alluding to this; pardon the lack of clarity

Archived